Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How high temp to clean the platesetter?

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished some burgers and the LBE is at 450. How high do I need to let it go to clean the platesetter and inside of the egg? My egg probably has 20 plus cooks, so no worries about the gasket...[p]Thanks...
...AnnaG...

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    AnnaG,
    don't clean it yet!!!!![p]your egg has got to learn to cook with a little wear on it!!LOL[p]
    you can clean it a number of ways
    1. lite it and let it get to 600 for a hour or two[p]2. take some leftover (or new) aluminum foil ball it up and scrub the inside of your egg and plate setter (too much work)[p]3. do like i do and use a paint scrapper and scrape all the bad stuff off it and forget about it.[p]4. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT ANY CHEMICALS ON IT!!! (who wants to taste that)[p]sorry others may disagree about the chemicals but that is your decision, i have made mine![p][p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    AnnaG,
    Good Lord, child! Why do you think you need to clean the egg after only 20 cooks? I didn't clean mine until almost 3 years of use, and that was just because the inside of the dome was getting "flaky". I always cover the plate setter with foil, or use a drip pan so I don't get "gunk" on it.

• AnnaG
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]Ok, I got it... Let it season and then clean it if need be...[p]Thanks you guys...
    ...AnnaG...

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    AnnaG,
    no no need be just scrape the s%&t off and cook some more!!LOL[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    egret,
    Was your ears burning today? Played golf. Nuff said.
    Hey, you talked to VWGAl?[p]Mike

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Car Wash Mike ,
    I thought that was "ringing" I heard!! Heeeeee! Yes, I talked to her when I was with you in Omaha........

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]From a female perspective.....[p]If you're cleaning your grids with each use and using drip pans when necessary (i.e., not letting junk just drop onto the platesetter), you shouldn't really need to "clean" it. We've had our eggs for many years and I've never "cleaned" them. Personally, I think it's these high temp burns that are causing some of the gasket problems and they're not necessary if you are doing preventive maintenence like keeping a clean grid and platesetter along the way. One of the things I used to hate about BBQ was the burned on junk that was always stuck to the grids because "oh, you just burn it off and scrape it when you need to". [p]Just my 2 cents...[p]Tonia

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    AnnaG,[p]If you have a self-clean oven, pop it in there next time you run the cycle...[p]-Jeeves
  • AnnaG
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Thanks Tonia... I thought I had read that it was good to periodically, after a cook, ramp the temp up to clean the egg and platesetter. I usually clean the grid and use a drip pan, I just thought this was the thing to do...[p]Oh well... Guess we are in better shape than I thought...[p]Thanks...
    ...AnnaG...