Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken legs

Options
kramerdog
kramerdog Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to cook some large chicken legs tonight. I'm going to use the leg rack from Lowe's. Any suggestions on best way to cook? Indirect or direct? Time and temp suggestions would be great too.
Thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03251a.jpg
    <p />kramerdog,[p]I build a lower temp fire, set the racks on the grate in the normal position and keep the dome temp between 230° and 275°. About two hours with the lower temps and 70 to 90 minutes with the higher temps. I have gone as high as 325° dome I, but I like the way they turn out with lower temps.[p]You will really like the skin using the racks. Since they are hanging, the meat shrinks away from the skin evenly and leaves a gap. This allows for the skin to crisp up nicely. For really crisp skin you can ramp the pit up toward the end of the cook.[p]For easy clean-up spray the racks with cooking spray before loading the chicken.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • kramerdog,
    When I cook legs, I marinade them with olive oil and Bad Byrons Butt Rub sealed in a foodsaver bag for a few hours. I cook them with direct heat for 1 hour at 275-300 and turn up the heat to 350 for an additional 30 minutes. This way they are very juicy and somewhat crispy. In my experience, cooking the legs at to low of a temp makes the skin rubbery.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    kramerdog,
    I've been doing them in the racks on a raised grid at 350 dome for about 90 minutes. Take them to 190-195 internal. -RP

• kramerdog
    Options
    AZRP,
    Thanks to all for the advice. Legs are on now and due off in about 20 minutes!