Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How easy to maintain temp in small egg?

Options
Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Eggers with a Small,[p]How easy is it to maintain temps in a small egg? And for how long? For those with a large and small can you compare the two? My experience with the large is that it is very easy to maintain temps over a long period of time (6 hrs - 20 hrs). I'd like to know if the same is true for the small. Regarding the capacity of the small, is there enough room for a beer butt chicken? Thanks for the feedback.[p]Kevin

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Kevin D,
    Can't help with the length of time for a low and slo cook as I use my small for ribs, wings, steaks, and yes, beer butt chicken. These require shorter cooking times. Holding temp for these cooks is very easy.

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Kevin D,
    I don't have any problem with 3-4 hour low temp (below 350*)cooks on the small. However, it will use most of the lump. Where as the large, which it's extremely larger lump capacity, will still have enough left for another cook. I don't think the small would be suitable for a 20 hr. or so cook but should be fine for what you mentioned.
    B D

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Kevin D,[p]The small Egg will hold cooking temperature just like the large Egg. The only difference between the two is that the small will change temp (on a vent adjustment) quicker than the large and it will drop cooking temp more when adding a large cool meat - no need to adjust vent settings as the temp will return. With steaks and other searing cooks, a well heated small does wonders, even better than the large because the meal benefits from being closer to the heating of the coals.[p]Low and slow cooks are a bit more complicated when done on the small Egg. Cooking time on a full load is around 10-12 hours (I have heard of some up to 16 hours), so a reload of lump will be necessary. I've only done it once on the small just to see if it could be done. The results were identical, it just required a reload and the longer cooking time a restart of the coals requires. It can be done, but the large Egg is much better equipped to handle the job.[p]The largest bird I've cooked in the small is 14.5 lb. turkey. Chicken is a given.[p]Spin