Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our fourth cook: Pork roast

Options
Dover_Gal
Dover_Gal Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We did a pork roast (late evening and in the dark as we both worked late yesterday.) I barded the pork roast with mild bacon after seasoning it with Penzey's Bavarian Mix (similar but not exactly like German "bratengewuerz" which is most crushed brown mustardseed, thyme, garlic salt and bay leaf, I think.) [p]2.5 lb roast, 3 strips bacon, 325-350 degrees, 2 or so hours. Int. temp was 160 when done. We cooked it on a rack sitting over a baking pan lined with foil, sitting on ye grill. [p]Because one of us was pretty hungry at the Spanish dinner hour of 9pm, we did not let it rest after taking it off the Egg. Lots of juice, which in retrospect would have been better inside the roast. We put the rest of it in the fridge until tonight's dinner and it was really, REALLY excellent. I am not a pork fan (whispering it) but it was fantastic cold. [p]We probably will be going to the PA eggfest this weekend, so no cooks planned much for the rest of the week. I would like to try doing bread, though. I can't eat store bread and won't bake in summer--house gets hot. And we haven't done turkey, chicken or salmon yet either.

Comments

• dover_gal,
    About that bread --[p]Run the EGG pretty hot for a while, to burn off all gunk, before you put the bread in. Longer than you would meat. Make sure the ceramic of the dome is up to temp, too....[p]Otherwise, your bread will be sooty tasting...[p]Yuck![p]Some people use a separate plate setter/pizza stone for breads... never share with meats...[p]~ B

• Dover_Gal
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,
    Hey, good advice; my desserts I've done so far have a bit of a char taste but not unpleasant. [p]I did plan to have a bread-only plate and burning off soot sounds like a good plan, too.