Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex Ribeye with Cowlick Steak Rub?????

Options
carpetman
carpetman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have Two 1 1/4 Ribeyes that have been rubbed with Cowlick for about 1 hour. I tought about T-Rex ing the darn things but am scared they may get "really charred". Any suggestions?[p]PS- I have used the T-Rex method with Salt & Pepper and those were fine. I have cooked the steaks at 550 for the entire cook and they were great, with a little char.[p]Please advise.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Carpetman,[p]I regularly TRex my Costco ribeyes. I usually just dust with Cowlick (I've tried heavy applications and it was too strong.)[p]Usually I sear at 600-700 (sometime a bit more) for no more than two minutes a side, take off and put under foil while closing down the Egg, and put them back on when it drops to about 400 (I uses TJV's WooRing to raise the meat further from the coals.) I use an instant thermometer and remove them at 125, letting them rest for about ten minutes to get a perfect medium rare.[p]If I'm short of time I'll use a hot water bath to raise the steak temps prior to cooking. That permits them to reach the finished internal temp faster after returning to the Egg - occasionally its almost been unnecessary to do the second step because the sear itself gets it so close to the final temp.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Carpetman,[p]Go for it. Even though pepper can burn, it won't be bad. I use cowlick on almost all my steaks. I love it on a TRex steak.
  • carpetman
    Options
    Carpetman,[p]Thanks Guys - The cook is done and photos are posted above.