Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first butt need advice

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook my first butt I am intending tobrine first and then marinate is this too much for a good butt. I would then dry rub after the marinating thank you

Comments

• Marvelous,[p]I've done butts for many years. My techniques can be found in the forum's recipe book from Eggtoberfest 2004 (see the link below). I've done those butts at Eggtober fest for 5-6 years now.[p]In a nutshell, a brine is a form of a marinade. The primary difference is a brine is designed to get to the entire piece of meat, whereas a marinade is designed to soak into the outer portion of the meet. [p]Marinading after brining will either make the butt too salty or waste your time. When you brine it, the butt will absorb the contents of the brine until it comes into equilibrium with the salinity of the brine. If you then tried to marinade it, the marinade would have to be saltier than the brine to get the marinade into the cells of the butt. [p]
    The best balance between the two is what is known as "flavor brining". This involves adding something other than salt to your brine solution. When smoking butts, I add moleasses (some folks use molasses, but I prefer the added depth of flavor provided by them moleasses! (grin))[p]Also, don't just smoke a single butt. If you've got a medium, you can smoke 2 or 3 at once. With a large, I can get 4 or 5 on the smoker. Pulled pork freezes really well (especially when sealed up with a Food Saver), assuming you have any left overs (which is why I smoke as many as I can at once!). It doesn't take much more time to prepping an additional one or more butts and I haven't seen an appreciable increase in the smoking time.[p]Oh, and make sure you use a rub. That really enhances the flavor of the bark (Bark - definition - outer layer of the smoked butt that is left in the kitchen because only the cook has the discriminating taste buds necessary to appreciate the best part of the butt!)[p]Bill

[ul][li]EGGtoberfest 2004 Recipes[/ul]
  • EddieMac
    Options
    I've done a bunch of Boston Butts just about every way imaginable on the BGE...And it's just my humble opinion that brining a BB is a waste of time...You're going to lose approximately 34 - 40% of the total weight during the cook and brining isn't really going to prevent that...at least not appreciably so...BBs have a ton of fat and connective tissue internally...and that's your flavor agent..Brining isn't going to enhnace that....Not really worth the effort....[p]I find that brining is beneficial for much leaner cuts of pork like the pork loin...and fresh hams (even though they have the big fat cap)...Both of those cuts have very little internal fats....[p]BBs are cheap...load up the egg and let the good times roll![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL