Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another new Egg owner needing rib advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So after dreaming about a smoker for a while now I wake up this morning and found the BGE online and realized the one dealer in my area was in the same section of town I was going for lunch today. After some time considering whether to get the large or XL while heading to Sams for some ribs, steaks, and a turkey breast, I went back this afternoon and got the XL, I hope that was a good choice.[p]So now I have a brand new BGE XL sitting in my garage with a bag of BGE chunks they gave me for buying this weekend, and 3 rib racks sitting in my fridge with a healthy dose of my rub on them, I'm wondering now if I need something between the ribs and the coals, I'll only be doing ribs Monday. I didn't get the plate setter and not certain the one I saw was for the XL anyway but now I'm thinking I should have investigated it further. I do have time to go tomorrow when they open (the ribs are for dinner) and see if they have one for the XL but is it really necesary to have it or a drip pan or something there? If they don't have the plate setter for the XL I'll have to jury rig something if I need it but the ribs need to be on between 1-2:00.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    mb168,
    Here is a whole primer on ribs.

[ul][li]Car Wash Mike's Rib Method[/ul]
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    mb168,
    Congrats on one the smartest purchases ever! Have you read about the 3-1-1 method for ribs? It works great! You didn't say whether they were babyback or spares. I use a pizza stone for indirect and it works well. You'll want one anyway for pizzas and other goodies. HTH
    Big'un[p]DSCI0007.jpg

• mb168,[p]Yesterday, I cooked my best ribs yet. I still don't have a plate setter yet, so I put about an inch of water in my drip pan to shield some of the direct heat. Not sure if it's 100% as good as a plate setter for indirect set up, but it was a very successful cook. My plate setter is on order. When it comes to Eggs, I think bigger is better. My medium works great, but I wish I had a large.[p]Enjoy yor new toy. It's a way of life.[p]
  • mb168,[p]
    I think the key for ribs is to have a properly operating temperature gauge/thermometer. If the egg gets too hot, you will dry out your ribs.[p]That said, if you have no platesetter, I would put a drip pan, perhaps an aluminum one that can be discarded, under the grid. It also is a heat barrier for you.[p]If you have baby back ribs, the 3-1-1 should be about right. It usually takes longer for spares in my experience. But the method is as close to fool-proof as you can get. [p] Get the temp to 240-275 and go three hours indirect. Then wrap in foil or stand the ribs in a pan with about an inch of apple juice and cover with foil. Cook for an hour. [p]Then I like to stay indirect for the last hour. The racks or half racks should be flexible when grasped with tongs at the end of the hour. If they are already about to fall off the bone when you remove from foil, then maybe you should shorten this stage. Also, some like to go direct now to cook the sauce onto the ribs, but they are so tender now that you must be careful not to tear them up or burn them.[p]Saturday night I attended a party where each couple was asked to bring a rack of ribs and an easy side dish. I cooked spares in a method similar to above. My egg settled in a little lower temp-wise than I had hoped (I ran an errand during the first three hour-stage, so I erred on the low-temp side), so I had to cook a bit longer, and it ended up being roughly a 7-hour cook. These were very thick, meaty ribs, and they turned out great, to the delight of our friends at the party.[p]I recommend Dr. BBQ's original book for cooking, rub, sauce and glaze ideas. I used his Big-Time rub and his glaze for these ribs, and I was pleased with the result. I own books by Raichlen, Kirk, Smoke & Spice, but I come back to Dr. BBQ, along with this forum, more often than any.

• mb168.[p]Forgot to mention that lack of platesetter may speed your cook some. Maybe someone without a platesetter will weigh in on this. However, if dome is only 250, hopefully the pan would be enough of a barrier.
  • Big'un,[p]Sorry, they are baby backs. Yes I've read so much on this site, BGE's site, Naked Whiz, etc, that it's all running together now. I read Mike's version where he uses the plate setter but just wondered if I NEEDED one or something like a drip pan, for my first ribs, or if I can cook without anything today unitl I get one. The video on BGE's site doesn't look like or mention using anything when he cooks ribs yet he specifically points out that he's using one in other videos. Will the drippings cause a huge mess in the bottom? They will be cooked flat on the rack, not vertical.
  • mb168,[p]Use a drip pan. Whether you put water in it or not, it'll protect your coals from all the goo dripping on it. Even when you get your plate setter, you'll want to use a drip pan.
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]How are you placing the drip pan firm and are you using disposable ones or actual drip pans?
  • mb168,
    If you go to the Recipe section on this forum, you will find "Pork Spareribs alla JJ" which are a direct cook method. I've done them twice now, while waiting for my plate setter to come in. Both times edible, but not wonderful. The ends dry out, but the middle ribs are fine. Make sure you get/ keep the temp low- 220 or so, or they dry out. Can't wait for the plate setter.
    Good luck with your new toy.
    Al

• mb,[p]Hey...I buy those disposable trays. the V rack legs just fit inside and kinda hold it down. [p]