Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drip pans on indirect

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just curious...[p]when cooking butts indirect, do you all use a drip pan? or just the platesetter?[p]if you use the platesetter with a drip pan will the drippings char over the extended cooking times? if it does char, will it impart that burnt smell to the butts? [p]do you add liquid to the drip pan to prevent the burning of the drippings. if so, how does the addition of the liquid effect the meat in terms of texture and moisture? what about cooking times? will water suffice or do you use things like juice? anyone with thoughts about flavored liquid adding substantial flavor to the meat?[p]thanks for your help.

Comments

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Mike,[p]Can't remember who gave the hint, but someone wraps the platesetter with foil to keep stuff from sticking. I do that now too. Usually add a disposable alum cake pan to catch most of juice.[p]I don't add any water, I don't think it matters - just throw away the drip pan at the end.[p]Cheers...JerryD
    [ul][li]My Website[/ul]
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    mike,
    Yes, I almost always use a drip pan for two reasons. It helps to keep any grease from making its way into the lump giving the food an acrid taste.I don't own a plate setter, so it also diffuses the heat to allow for an indirect cook. [p]yes, the drippings do char. It has never imparted a burnt smell into the butts(butt smells,that's funny).[p]I typically use only water for a drip pan. I use apple juice or beer when foiling meat. I don't continue to add water throughout the cook, but I do feel that the water does add some additional moisture to the meat,however one of the eggs most lovable features is it's ability to keep
    moisture in the food, so maybe the water is doing nothing more than stopping the pan from burning. HTH.
    Big'un

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    JerryD,
    I do like your site. I am watching for the "wing" post on your site. Have a great day!

• mike,[p]I'm not as experienced as some, but I don't bother with a drip pan. I have done lots of fast grilling and also brisket, butts, ribs, and smoked fish with the plate setter (legs up). After I remove the meat, I open up the egg and let it go to town for a while (sort of like a self cleaning oven). I keep it just below 600 for a while (5-15 minutes) and the stuff that is left on the plate setter is usually just carbon after that point.[p]I've scraped off the carbon after every few cooks with a grill brush. I may try wrapping it in foil next time, but it's not too much work the way it is now.[p]I've never had a moisture problem...my briskets, ribs, and butts are da bomb.[p]boz.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    mike,[p]Use a drip pan for anything that may have a lot of fat and if you have any interest in keeping your plate setter minimally clean. I usually use a shallow metal pan that fits comfortably on the inverted plate setter and then line it with foil but I've also made pans out of heavy aluminum foil alone. The advantage is that the foil can be simply crumpled and tossed. [p]As stated by others, there is little need for additional moisture on an Egg, unlike a metal smoker, and some believe more moisture makes the bark too soft.