Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Duck?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to the forum and have searched but could not find a receipe for smoking a duck. I would imagine the Egg would be the perfect insturment to smoke a duck and allow crispy skin. Any suggestions?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    SmokinD,
    cook it direct at 220 works for me, low and slow for 4 to 5 hours til the skin gets crunchy. with low temp cooks they are not greasy like a higher temp cook, do a search for duck and djm5x9, he mekes some good looking duck cooked at 200 for 5 or 6 hours.

[ul][li]duck[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinD,
    interesting question. I do smoked duck all the time, but smokin is way different if you want crispy skin. smoking at a lower temp will not provide crispy skin. so, you can do a couple of things to get your desired result.
    1. smoke it indirect a 1.5 - 2 hours at 225, then crank up the heat to 400 for about 30 mins.
    2. cook it indirect at 350 - 375, with a couple hunks of hickory and cherry wood. should get the smokiness you want, and the crispy skin.[p]I usually smoke wild duck, and cut it up to put in Duck gumbo. mighty good[p]

• EggspertMN,[p]Do you pull after a certain amount of time or do you use a thermometer?[p]If you use a thermometer what temp do you pull the smoked duck at?[p]Thanks
  • EggspertMN,[p]Thank you for the input. I will put it to use this weekend![p]
  • fishlessman,[p]Thank you for your input. Between the advice from you and "EggspertMN" I'm sure to find success this weekend. Thank you also for your link to your wonderful duck and rice pictures.

• utvolegger,
    actually an instant read thermometer at 155-160 (in the thigh) deg is good for smoked duck (I smoke mostly wild duck) If I cook at a higher temp, with wood, it Dome temp is 350, and pull it off at 160 deg.[p]BTW, brining a duck for 12-24 hours beforehand is also quite desirable. [p]Have fun