Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg Cooking goin on

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey there. I am trying my first cook simple.[p]Split chicken breasts, legs, corn on the cobb.[p]My plans:
Get the hardwood charcoal going, drop it to 350.
Throw on soaked hickory.
Cook the chicken for 30minutes a side?
Then 10 minutes for the corn.[p]Do I need a drip pan? Are those times good?[p]Egg On!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    Poultry soaks up smoke real quick. Be carefull. Corn maybe 15-20, don't know how you prepped. Good luck.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,[p]So are you saying easy on the woodchips and dont cook it to long for the poultry?[p]For the Corn I am doing a 20 minute soak first.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    "Get the hardwood charcoal going, drop it to 350."[p]Cooling an Egg can be time consuming.
    Best to "Get the hardwood charcoal going, bring it UP to 350".

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    don't "drop" it to 350.[p]slow it down so it stops at or about 350.[p]easy to get temps to go up. hard to back them down (quickly, anyway)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]great, thanks. BTW how soon after you start the coals do you close the lid?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    Real easy on the wood. Times sound fine. They are done when they are done. Corn should feel soft. Chicken should have an internal temp around 160-165. Here is a link.

[ul][li]Hormel[/ul]
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    I'll try jumping in before Mike.
    I'd go 65 min on the chicken at 350 deg. No need to flip it half way thru the cook. I cook chicken direct on BGE's raised grid extender.

• Fred Bedoink,[p]Congrats on your new Egg.[p]Make sure you let the Egg heat up to your desired temp before you add the food. If you're going to cook @ 350, you don't have to get the temps to 700 first. But let the smoke burn off, and once the dome is stabilized, wait another ten or more minutes before putting food in... you don't want "charcoal smoke" in the food -- and you want the dome itself to be hot, not just the air inside the dome.[p]I also soak complete ears of corn for at least 15 minutes.
    Then, I take the wet/damp "falling-off" leaves, and make a "bed" on top of the cast iron grate. Put the corn on top of that.[p]This way, the corn doesn't sear as much, if any. Some like burnt kernels,.. we don't.[p]I steam/roast the corn @ 350-400F for thirty minutes, rotating "1/3" every ten minutes, and also turning from end-to-end.[p]Enjoy corn while you can -- it's starting to get tough! We passed peak several weeks ago.[p]~ Best Wishes![p]~ Broc

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Darn. You beat me by 6 seconds.[p]Best to you,
    Rich

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    I usually wait until the starter block stops flaming.

• Fred Bedoink,[p]I leave the daisy wheel off [not just open] and the bottom vent wide open, lid down, until the dome temp approaches where you want it.[p]Then, I put the daisy on, closed with "windows" open, and close the bottom vent to about 1"[p]Temp will stabilize somewhere around 350F[p]~ B

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Fred Bedoink,
    i light it and shut the dome right away, and put the daisy on.
    it doesn't have any more draft with the daisy off (during the start anyway), and there's no chance of running away and coming back to a thousand degree egg.[p] i set the daisy right away for my desired temp.[p]it's not any slower getting to that temp with the daisy on, but more importantly, it doesn't way overshoot either.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    stike,[p]Thanks for the Tip -- I'll try it your way next time.[p]I DO know about runaway temps![p]~ B[p]