Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoky Italian Beef and Grilled Talapia Po' Boy Sammiches

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With the weather being REALLY nice here in Southern IL I wanted to grill something last night that I had not done in awhile. SO, I decided to pickup a nice beef roast at the store. Just so happened that the locak Kroger had BIG sirloin tip roasts for $1.29 a pound so I picked up a couple of them. One hit the grill last night, one in the freezer. While I was there I noticed that they had some really nice looking Talapia fillets on sale so I picked them up as well.[p]The egg was heated to about 325 and I grilled the talapia with just some lemon juice and garlic and parsley marinade (one hour) and added a light breading (cornmeal and flour) just before cooking. Grilled them a few minutes a side direct on a fish cooker, they turned out great. Ended up making a nice creole mayo for it and ate it on a grilled (toasted) hoagie roll with some red onion and tater tots. Kids and parents alike loved the meal.[p]I shut the dampers down and settled the egg at 225 and put that roast in a cast iron dutch oven, uncovered. I added about 3 cups of beef broth, about 1/3 cup of italian seasoning, threw a big handful of cherry chips on the fire, and let it go. I opened up the egg this AM and was greeted by the most beautiful looking roast that I've seen in a long time. Temp was still pegged at 225. Tonights meal is that beef on the rest of those hoagie rolls. Man, cant wait. I may have to try some for lunch just to be sure that its fit to eat for dinner. AND, with a roast of that size, about 8 pounds, I have plenty of leftovers.[p]OH, By the way, the first batch of beer of the season is in the fermenter now, a nice light Wheat Beer. Half will become a nice raspberry wheat for the wife, the other half is kept as is for me, not into that fufu stuff. Another batch planned, simple pilsner, in the next couple of weeks.[p]Troy

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    sprinter,
    What was the final temp. of the roast? Thanks.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Marvin,[p]I didn't even check it, the roast had fallen into two pieces in the pan and flaked real easy when I touched it with a fork so I figured it was done. I cook these the same way in the oven and all I do is set the oven low, 200-225 and let it go overnight. Sometimes thats 7 hours, sometimes 10, it is a very unexact science.[p]Troy
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    sprinter, Next time you do the Italian beef throw in a few slices of garlic and strips of sweet green bell pepper toward the finish and simmer till just tender. Yum-- classic chicago style Italian beef sammich. Do you slice or pull your beef?
    Painter