Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Spareribs today

Options
sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just started some nice pork spareribs (rubbed in JJ's) about 45 minutes ago. Dome temp hasn't gone above 210 yet, so I have a decent low and slow chance today. I'm cooking them indirect currently (over firebricks and drip pan with beer).[p]I've never wrapped in foil, but I'm going to give that a shot today, after 3 hrs, as long as my dome temp stays under control. If I lose it (and it spikes up near 300), I'll forgo the foil.[p]--sdb

Comments

• sdbelt
    Options
    Just added the foil wrap. Peak temp has now been 245, which is definitely an all-time record (as a new low high) for me this summer.[p]--sdb
  • sdbelt
    Options
    Last night my ribs turned out simply awesome. I couldn't believe how tender they were. And they were definitely of the "falling off the bone" variety. I removed them from the foil after 1.25 hrs. Dome temp spiked to 270, when the foil was on, but that was only for 15 minutes and I was able to fairly quickly get it back down to ~250. I cooked 'em an extra 45-50 minutes without the foil, and pulled when I had a between the bone temp of 195.[p]This is definitely the lowest cooking temp I've ever been able to maintain, since purchasing my Egg over Memorial day, which is a huge personal boon. I think the high yesterday was _only_ 105 (possibly lower).[p]During the cook I used two new accessories (for me anyway). I used an electric starter (this items second use), which I'm really liking. Makes that chinese lump that I mix in easier to start. I also used a new remote thermometer from RediCheck? that has a probe that plugs in to a transmitter and a receiver that you can put inside the house. The reciever has a timer and temp display, and is much like the advanced Polder, except that its inside, with the probe outside. Very, very handy. It definitely kept me from falling asleep at the helm. I got it at BBQ's Galore for ~$60, so its about 2X a Polder. Time will tell whether it's sturdier than my previous 3 Polders, which do not appreciate the hot Arizona summers.[p]--sdb