Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XLGE vs. LGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to get everyones oppinion on this, getting ready to purchase my 1st egg and was wandering everyones feelings on this. I don't cook for large groups that often, but sometimes. So I am looking for the main differences other than size itself. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,820
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,
    a large small combo is about the same price as an xl which gives you the option to have two different style cooks going at the same time which alot of us do plus a better option for small cooks. the large can feed a pretty large group in one cook, but with a little planning ahead you can serve alot of people with a large. xl has more grill space, but the types of cooks for me have changed over the years from simple grilling. whichever one you get, you will probably be getting a second one later so plan your needs around eventually owning 2 eggs. my biggest cook on a large was two 8 pound pork butts and two 8 pound brisket flats at the same time, with an xl you can cook more, maybe 5 or 6 butts in one cook. some opt for a second large later on instead of the small so its probably best to get one and wait until you know whats best for you

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Been trying to post the same thing LOL Going friday to get my first Egg. I had heard of them before but never thought of getting one until my first BBQ contest a couple weeks ago. When you have to constantly watch a smoker for 14 hours, MAN it gets old. LOL So I started lookin more into the egg and after reading what you guys have said WOWWWWW. I hadf no idea the Egg was that good. Not just for smoking ribs, brisket and butts but heck, EVERYTHING!!!! I do cook up to 4 butts at a time (throw alof of parties) and is the large big enough for that? I can get the large for 599 and the XL for 799. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dr. Walrod,[p] I agree with Fishlessman, the large and small combination is great. The large and large is probably the most versatile.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,820
    Options
    2005012055.jpg
    <p />DonDon,
    this is a full large, its pretty tight and a little more difficult than an average butt cook as the vent settings need adjusting as the meat shrinks causing for a little more airflow. for once or twice a year its fine, if your doing this cook regularly i would get two larges. i have no experience with an xl, but like the way a large cooks. if i was to do a contest i would want atleast two eggs but ive heard it can be done with one and proper planning.
    5a1453bd.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OK, you just made my stomach go nuts looking at that!!!! I only started smoking meats about 3 years ago. Didn't know how good the food could be. Guess I was like most people in that I'd throw a steak, burgers or some sausage on the grill, bout it. Now about the only time I put food on direct heat is a steak or burgers. I'd rather smoke a brisket or a butt than anything else. Looks like the large may be big enough for me with those extension in the pic. with the large at 599 and the XL at 799 I can get the large and MANY of the excessories I'll need cheaper than just an XL. THANKS for your help!!! Now if you'll pass that plate and a super size bun with a cold beer we're in business!!!!!