Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd pork butt!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well this time I decided to experiment a bit. The first one was on the grate right above a 2" foil drip pan. This time I used a pizza pan wrapped in foil for the drip pan and and elevated cooking grid. I wanted to see if there was any difference with the pan being further from the cooking area. One thing I noticed was the difference in temps. Last time it turned out perfect. It was a 21hr cook and the therm on the dome read 240*. This time I put the digital probe on the cooking grate(lower one) and while the dome therm read 240*, the digital said it was 215*. So the last cook was 21hrs at about 215*. This time the temp was 225*-240* at the elevated grid level and took about 19hrs. Not much of a difference for the difference in temp, but makes sense. I noticed last time that the butt plateaued at around 170* and sat there forever. Then when it hit 190* it sat there for another 5hrs. This time I accidentally slept through the 170* and it was at 190* for a good 4-5hrs when I woke up. The bark is crispier this time and there wasn't as much smoke(the smoke ring isn't as deep either), but overall pretty good. I noticed last time that I wouldn't see any smoke until the dome therm read around 240*-250*. This time I was at dome level and didn't want it higher than 225*-230*. Next time I will do it back at the lower level, keep the dome temp at about 250* and the grate level will be 225*. Thought I'd share a few pics.
Chris[p]IMG_2568.jpg[p]IMG_2571.jpg[p]IMG_2577.jpg[p]IMG_2578.jpg[p]IMG_2579.jpg

Comments