Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something Different with A Butterflied Chicken

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all. I have a 4 and a half pound chicken that I am planning on cooking tonight. Plan on butterflying it, and rubbing under the skin...maybe injecting...and cooking direct I would like to do something different and interesting...maybe with a spice paste?? A unique rub?? Maybe an injection?? [p]Would 'preciate any ideas.
Still dazed. Chin high.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Don't know if this would work as a paste, but I like to make a sauce out of roasted red pepper, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, chicken stock and a little hot pepper. A little fresh thyme would be good in there, too, I bet. Seem to me that if you left out the stock you'd be left with a paste. The flavor may not be intense enough for rubbing under the skin, though. Hmmmm . . .[p]MikeO
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nature Boy, Was looking through Steven Raichlen's 'Sauces, Rubs and Marinades' book. The Asian Injector Sauce looks to be right up yer alley. Do you have this book? If so, it's on pg 113. If not, and you're interested, I'll email it to ya! Let me know. Description of this injector sauce is: 'Based on a traditional Chinese dish called master sauce chicken, this sauce lends a sweet, anisey Asian accent to whatever you happen to be grilling'.
    Qfan

• Nature Boy,[p]Get yourself a jar of Patak's Tandoori paste and some plain yogurt. Mix according to the jar, marinate and grill. Serve it with basmati rice, some kkind of Indian vegetable dish and naan bread.

• BluesnBBQ,[p] I was also thinking about that. I've got some Penzey's Tandoori powder and that works well, too . . .[p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    BluesnBBQ,
    That is the type of thing I am looking for. In fact, Qfan just emailed me the suggestion for a similar style spice paste. I also thought about doing some naan....but I guess I don't have time to do the dough and give it time to rise...hmmm.[p]thanks much yall!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    I asssume you have a large mortar & Pestle or food proceessor.
    2 Green onions chopped
    9 peppercorns
    1tsp Salt
    1tsp Allspice
    4 cloves garlic chopped
    1 hot pepper of choice chopped
    1 tbsp ginger chopped
    dash of cinnimon
    1/8 tsp curry powder
    1/2 Tbsp soysauce
    1 tbsp Oil of choice (peanut or olive for instance)
    Mix thoroughly
    Slap it on the bird

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Palisin,
    Sounds good. I would also put it under the skin. Another useful one is to lightly crush herbs d'provence, salt and pepper in a motor/pestle and add just enough olive oil to make a paste and place this under the skin. Enjoy.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Marvin,
    And GARLIC! Don't forget to add the chopped garlic.

• Nature Boy
    Palisin,
    That sounds good. Thanks! No fresh green onions, but some garlic should do! Thanks again.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Gretl, Hey, maybe go for that recipe that has the 40 cloves of garlic stuffed up under the skin! I've heard of this, and know that the garlic mellows and sweetens as it roasts. Ever had this one?
    BBQfan1

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Gretl, I apologize. It should be in there!

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    BBQfan1,
    Sorry to be so slow in responding; I was away for the weekend. Answering your question, yes, I've had a version of chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, but it's a casserole with chicken thighs. I think it would adapt very well to Egging, as a matter of fact. One of these days, I'll whomp up a batch and let you know how it turns out. Yes, garlic gets sweeter and mellower the longer it cooks.
    Cheers,
    Gretl