Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb spares with Moroccan spices and honey-mint yoghurt

Options
DobieDad
DobieDad Posts: 502
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_2167s.jpg
<p />These lamb spare ribs are succulent, tender and their flavor is exciting. They are also very easy.[p]I started with two packages of lamb ribs. They look just like pork spares, only smaller. The meat on this tray weighs 5 pounds. One slab is bone up, the other is bone down for illustrative purposes. I proceeded to trim them just as I would pork spares, removing excess fat, the membrane and skirt, which made a great 'cook's treat' as it was done early.[p]IMG_2147s.jpg[p]The marinade consists of onion, garlic, ginger, paprika and aromatic spices that I took directly out of Raichlen's book 'Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs' (p. 235). It's very spicy, very good, quick and easy. It has the consistency of mayonnaise.[p]IMG_2149s.jpg[p]The ribs and trimmings marinated for about 2 hours in the fridge. Then I put them on @ 300° (dome) indirect with two chunks of sweet maple for smoke.[p]IMG_2152s.jpg[p]A good deal of fat rendered out in the 2 1/4 hours that they were on. The finished ribs were richly flavorful.[p]IMG_2153s.jpg[p]IMG_2159s.jpg[p]Raichlen serves them with Harissa, North African hot sauce, and gives a recipe for same. I didn't want hot chili flavors with these ribs, so I blended Middle Eastern yoghurt (full fat) with honey and chopped fresh mint, and garnished with more chopped mint. [p]The combination was outstanding. If you are a lamb lover, look for these ribs at an international market and give them a try.[p]DD

Comments

• DobieDad,
    nicely done!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]You have my attention now ....Master!![p]Thanks for the walkabout.[p]Long time no hear...hope you're both well!!!!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Where does one find lamb ribs, I saw that on License to Grill the other day and wanted to try them? -RP

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Jeepers, you get the prize of the night! All my favorite flavors in that dish. There are many international markets in San Diego, but I've never seen a slab of ribs like that. Maybe they have to be special-ordered. Until now, I never dreamed this existed!

Judy in San Diego
  • DobieDad
    Options
    AZRP,[p]It's hit or miss. Supermarkets don't carry much of anything that is not standard.[p]I found these at 'Caputo's' on 12 and Hicks Road, Palatine. They've only been there 2 years or so. But the big beauty of them all, out west anyway, is Valli Produce on Higgins and Roselle in Hoffman Estates (www.valliproduce.com). A little far for me for everyday shopping, but the only place I've ever seen in the US that has fresh rambutan in season. Now THAT's something! Don't know about the Naperville area. Try a similar market in AZ.[p]Other than that, local lamb farmers who might butcher their own, and certainly online from ranchers in CO, etc.[p]Good luck.[p]DD

• DobieDad
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]There are two quite large international markets near me. Both have an extensive butcher shop, and both have been eager to bring in things on special order.[p]But I didn't special order these. I just saw them there and had to have them. I'm going back tomorrow to give (+) feedback to the manager and see if he will bring them in more frequently.[p]BTW, I've been on a hunt for cabrito locally. You might be able to find that in the San Diego area more easily than I can here. So far the smallest dressed goat I could find was 28 pounds.... Not exactly cabrito. [p]Have a look in your international stores, especially the ones that have substantial butcher counters, and ask.[p]Good luck.[p]DD
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DobieDad,
    I've got to try these!
    Ross

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]Good to see another convert to lamb ribs. They're just so juicy and tender.[p]If you want to try something different next time. Turn to page 235 (Raichlen on Ribs) and try my recipe 'Aussie lamb ribs'.
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,[p]Oops - sorry that should be page 230.
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,[p]Oops - sorry that should be page 230.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    DobieDad,
    What kind of wine went with that exquisite meal?[p]Look around for jamacian or caribbean grocery store, they should help find a cabrito.

• DobieDad
    Options
    An Egg Downunder,[p]Yes! I SAW your recipe! And was excited to see that you are in Raichlen's book!![p]Don't worry. Your recipe went on my 'do' list. All I've got to do is get the meat manager to provide these little beauties more often! [p]Regards,[p]R
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Yes, we are lamb lovers, tops our "celebration" dinners. Your lamb ribs look great and are an inspiration.
    Think I'll shop some local meat markets and see if I can find one that offers ribs. I would like to try tenderloin also.
    Nice work! I'm startin the think of you as the 'Rib Man'.
    Clay

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Looks killer! I have a question re: the amount of fat left in the ribs. My wife (yes, the wife who.....) doesn't like fatty ribs. I did babybacks last week that, due to a scheduling change, had to stay on the cooker a little longer than normal, and she remarked that these were the very good. Normally, she passes on pork ribs. So, that was the old 3-1.5-1 method that turned into a 3.25-1.5-2 method. How did the lamb ribs do after only 2.25 hours? We love middle-eastern food, so this looks like a winner![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03073a.jpg
    <p />The Naked Whiz,[p]Maybe you could do a close trim on some lamb loin ribs and cook them for the wife whilst making some of those great looking belly ribs for yourself.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DobieDad
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]You might mean lamb loin. The tenderloin of lamb is about the size and shape of a cigar. You need a heap to make a meal.[p]I could buy whole loins in Australia (tenderloin too, for that matter). They are very tender an lean. A quick cook is all that is needed. At the time I was there, a favorite thing restaurants would do with loin is make a pocket and stuff with some elegant goodie (that didn't need further cooking) then fast sear.[p]Recently I saw a post on another board that claimed Trader Joe's stocks lamb 'tenderloin'. They are in for a visit today, and I hope to find fresh or frozen loin. Will report back...[p]DD
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    DobieDad,
    For those who can not find lamb spares or know a butcher who will cut-to-order, lamb shoulder is usually available or available-on-order from large grocers. Here is a recipe I mentioned in the past for those who want a real Moroccan flavor: http://www.eggheadforum.com/recipes/newRecipes/lamb0318.htm

• DobieDad
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]They are more fatty than loin ribs. The juices almost run down your fingers. Not off putting to us (indeed, appreciated), but from your description, maybe too much for 'the wife who...'.[p]For dinner last night we charged thru the left over ribs and trimmed pieces, and I found more fat in the trimmed pieces than in the ribs. It was layered between sheets of tender meat, so it was an easy task at the table to slice off the meat and separate and discard the layer of fat.
    I know what you are saying about cooking these fast and not rendering out more of the fat from the ribs, but I would be hesitant to do that. The meat from this cook was deliciously tender, and I think going lower and slower, or extending the time @ 300°F might result in either dry/tough or crisp meat (which is how I imagine the pork ribs that your wife liked). We loved the texture and flavor of the rib meat, and wouldn't want to change that. If you can find lamb spares, give 'em a try and experiment (perhaps on a night when you are on your own).[p]For 'the wife who...' you might be better sticking with the leaner cuts of lamb. Lamb lollies, as ~thirdeye~ suggests. I would bet these flavors would be outstanding as kabobs made from a boned leg.[p]DD