Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic Grilling Temperatures

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are novices at grilling and proud owners of a new large BGE. While we have followed several recipes successfully, we would like to know a few basics for grilling temperatures. For example, what defines medium heat? What is the best temperature for boneless, skinless chicken breasts and other general meat categories? Is there a source someone can point us to?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Lynne Brice,
    Click on link below... this site is awesome!!!
    Generally Medium heat is 350-400 dome temp... for Boston Butts 250 dome temp. If you just got your egg be sure to check the calibration of your thermometer page 30 BGE book. As far as the manual goes don't go by the recommended cook times the food will be on the rare side. Check out the site and ask questions here and you will produce Top Notch food.
    ~Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Lynne Brice,
    Medium heat for grilling will be 350-400 degrees. I grill all my meats, except for searing, at these temps. and always on a raised grid. A raised grid gives you more even heat, i.e., it's further from the coals, and also you'll get the added benefit of the radiant heat from the dome.

• Unknown
    Options
    egret,When you state a raised grid...how do you raise it? With the triple or single tear shelving grids or what, please. Thank you so much! Ann

• AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Ann,
    I don't want to put words in his mouth, but, I think he is talking about a grid-extender. [p]I bought one for my large and have been very happy with it. It hooks onto the original grate and extends the amount of food that you can put on the egg... [p]HTH...
    ...AnnaG...

• Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    Ann,
    If you are looking for a raised grate go to the Naked Whiz site and he will show you how to build one... I have wanted one for a while but was to lazy to make it... finally but the bullet this weekend and for about $30 I now have one[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#raisedgrid

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Lynne Brice,[p]I'd like to recommend the Naked Whiz's site for your questions. If you click on the Ceramic cookers link and then click on cookbooks. Download the one from Wise One and you should have what you are looking for. [p]I find this site to be the most helpful with all my ????[p]Thanks and good luck[p]Mike in Abita
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Ann,
    I'm talking about the grid extender that clips onto the main grid that's available through BGE. You can also manufacture your own with stainless steel bolts, washers, nuts as explained on the Naked Whiz site. The point is to raise the grid you're cooking on. I'm not a big fan of the triple rig BGE puts out.