Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Problem

Options
Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seems I have a little issue... I guess from lots O' use I have a ton of grease built up on my thermometer... I was going to try to remove it and clean it but now I can't get the little metal device that keeps it in place to come off, thus I can't get the thermometer out... the only thing I can think of is get the egg up to temp and try to work it out ( hopefully loosening the grease ? ) or I could hit it with a torch... any ideas?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,913
    Options
    Good Eats,
    actually that clip is doing precisely what it was designed to do - when it was placed on the probe it was tightly snugged up. If you look inside you can see how it was designed. Once you figure out the retaining portion side just work with it and it will come right off - quite easily in fact. Then turn 180° and throw that thing as far as you can! Those clips are a pain and cause people not to check their calibration often!

• AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    Options
    Good Eats,
    You need to squeeze that thing and then pull the thermometer. That thing is made in a triangle so squeeze one side and the the one going up on an angle. You might have to pull hard because of the build-up. Hope this helps, AZ