Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp stabalization question

Options
Jay
Jay Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all,[p]I got the spare ribs on 10:30. I put a hunk of hickory on in the center, placed the cold plate-setter, drip pan with some h2o, grill, rib rack and meat. It is now an 1:10 later and my temp is not quite back to 275 degrees....I've just reached 250 with three itsy bitsy adjustments to the bottom vent and daisy.[p]Is it normal to take so long to get back to the cooking temp or should I start drinking beer now?[p]Jay

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jay, I'd start on the beer and check it in 15 minutes. If still at 250 (and you really want 275) tweak both the top and bottom a bit. Then check in another 15 minutes.

• Jay
    Options
    Sorry, by 1:10 later I mean 1 hour and 10 minutes later. I sure hope I'm just being paranoid...[p]Jay
  • Jay
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks for the reply. I am brand new at this. Can I assume from your post that 275 is not a good choice...that was the temp I saw from some archived post of the 3-1-1.5 method...is it too high?[p]Jay

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jay, you can probably get as many opinions on the proper temperature as there are people. Personally (maybe it's because I'm not worried about competition cooking) I pick ranges (say 250-275) instead of a spot and when I get in that range, I stop fiddling. Sometimes when i get too anal about temps, I wind up screwing it more than if I just relaxed a bit. So if your target range was 260-285, I'd tweak it a bit and see where it goes. If your target was 250-275, I'd start my beer.

• Jay
    Options
    whoops...I think I had read 225 and I wrote down 275! I will try to bring it down to 220-225[p]Happy Sat.[p]Jay
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Jay,[p]If you are going to use a platesetter, I'd suggest loading it in earlier, and stabilizing you temp with it in. Its a big heat absorber, and it changes the air flow. I'd expect your finish time will be a little later, but the result should be good.[p]For myself, I prefer doing ribs on an elevated grill with just an empty drip pan below on the bottom grate. That drops the temps, but they usually come back up in 30 - 45 minutes. If the drippings start burning, I add a little fluid. Otherwise, I just let the Egg's closed environment keep the moisture contained.[p]Even going direct, with nothing between the coals and the meat, a big batch of ribs will drop the temperature for 30 minutes or so. [p][p]gdenby
  • Jay
    Options
    gdenby,
    I thought that might have been the issue...too much cold stuff going in all at once....
    thanks