Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drummette question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to try some drummettes in a little while. I have the Lowes racks. There was a post by Roudy a few weeks ago with a picture of some legs he had done that looked delicious, but I believe he used legs instead of drummettes. Can anyone give me a good idea how to cook them, at what temp, for how long? Any good recipes? Thanks for your help. This forum has been very helpful to a rookie egger.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Gary Wiggins, when you do wings you get a drumette and a wing (and a tip which I cook down for chicken stock). You can use any of the wing recipes on them but here is one of my favorites:[p]Georgia Red Wings

I think you'll like this, it's definitely one of the best I've ever tasted. It's not over-poweringly spicy but quite flavorful. [p] Ingredients
    1 1/4 cups soy sauce
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 cup Hot and Spicy V8 juice
    3-4 lbs chicken wings

Procedure
    1 Cut the wings apart at the joints discarding (or saving for stock) the tips.
    2 Combine marinade ingredients in a large container with a lid. and place the wings in the container making sure they are all covered with marinade.
    3 It is best to let the wings marinate in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 2-4 hours).
    4 Remove the wings from the marinade and sprinkle with Big Green Egg Gourmet Seasoning (or your favorite rub for chicken).
    5 Grill indirect at about 350 deg. for 15 to 30 minutes on each side. If grilling direct, monitor carefully and turn every 10 minutes.

Reviews
    Although not nearly as spicy as you might think, these have a great flavor. Watch carefully when sprinkling with the seasoning as it contains a good deal of salt as does the soy sauce. - Bill Wise 1/14/2004 [p]
    Personally, I like them very crispy (an hour) but some like them just barely browned (30-40 minutes).[p]This does enough wings to cover the grill of a large BGE with some space between the wings. You could probably double the recipe and get them all on, but you would be overlapping some.

[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02349ab.jpg
    <p />Gary Wiggins,[p]I just season them, put in a zipper bag overnight, then go to the rack. I use a low fire, lump just above the holes in the firebox and cook direct. With my raised grate set-up only one rack will fit. Times are around 1-1/2 hours for wings and 2 hours for legs. In the normal position, two racks will fit, but you need a lower fire than with a raised grate.[p]
    dsc02055aL.jpg[p]I have done a couple of higher temp cooks, around 325°-350°, which take way less time, but I like the lower temp ones better.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Remember you are talking to a rookie. How do you get the raised grate? Is this with a plate setter? What do you mean by lowere temp's? 275? 300?[p]Thanks

• Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Gary Wiggins,[p]I cooked two dozen more legs last night for a post-tennis match party. I like legs vs. drummettes simply because you get more meat. As usual I did a direct cook at 280-300 F for 90 minutes with a chunk of cherry wood for smoking. The results as usual were terrific. Everyone raved about the legs and I love the simplicity of putting them on and never looking at them until it was time to come off. If you do the drummette with less meat I would estimate that you could finish them in 60-75 minutes at these temperatures.[p]I've cooked wings, drummettes, and legs now on the Lowe's racks, and I prefer the results of a longer cook at lower temperatures better than the 350 degree shorter cooks. The beauty of the BGE however is that I've gotten moist chicken every time (unlike my results with every gasser I've ever used).

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC02688a.jpg
    <p />Gary Wiggins,[p]Sorry. A plate setter will raise the grate but you are cooking indirect. For cooking over direct coals, raising the level of the grate can be done with a BGE grate extender, which clips to the regular grate and gives you a 3-1/2" bump in height. (and allows for over/under cooks) In the picture above, the regular grate is sitting on the plate setter, so if the plate setter was not in use, the regular grate would sit on the fire ring, putting the level of the extender about even with the bottom rim of the Egg.[p]A second option are a several spacer ring devices. One is basic in design and another one (or maybe two by now) have adjustable features. They were designed by tjv who is a regular here on the forum. [p]Here is one of the basic rings.[p]DSC02677a.jpg[p]Here is the basic ring & grate set-up for "raised direct" cooking.[p]DSC02395.jpg[p]This is an adjustable device called a "rig". Overall height is taller than the basic one and the little crossbars can be moved up or down to support additional grates or to hold gadgets like those leg/wing racks, a pizza stone, a drip pan etc. A grate can also fit on top of the rig as well, giving you what I call a "very raised direct" set-up.[p]DSC02497a.jpg[p]By low temps I am talking about 250° to 275° at the grate.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,
    how do you get in touch with tjv. I may be interested in one of his setups. Also, your grate looks like new. Do you clean it after each cook? I generally just brush mine good and keep going on to the next cook? Is this not good?

• thirdeye
    Options
    ae4ce587-1.jpg
    <p />Gary Wiggins,[p]You have mail, and yes, that is a new grate. For cleaning I buy those BBQ forks when they go on sale and cut the tines off. They work great.[p]ae4ce587.jpg[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,
    tjv???

• thirdeye
    Options
    Gary Wiggins,[p]Did my e-mail not come through?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Got it. Thanks!!!!!!!! Drumettes are cooking.