Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low-temp steaks

Options
BBQ-BoB
BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know most of you..as I have since I got my egg, have been searing the steaks at hi-temps (600 - plus) then shutting down the egg for some minutes....
Last week I was making chili, and I was gonna use 2 ribeye steaks for the meat......instead of cooking the steaks hi-temp, I had a normal amount of lump (oak this time..not mesquite)...got temp up to 400. Then I put in 2 fist size hunks of mesquite wood, put on the ribeyes, and had the vents opened very little (1/4 in on top and bottom). Ilet it cook and smoke for about 8-10 minutes per side. When I removed them they were so succulent and juicy and so tender....almost did not need a knife. Well only 1/2 of one steak made it to the chili.[p]Just to make sure it was not a fluke, I cooked 4 ribeyes the same way tonight....and they had to be the best tatsing steaks I ever cooked on the egg. The outside did not have the charring due to no hi-temps..but I will trade the charring for the best tasting steak I ever had.....
For those who have not tried it yet....give your steaks a lower and slower cook...and see how you like it....This egg is something!!![p]BBQ-BoB

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BBQ-BoB, sounds interesting - I have a couple of steaks for tonight, maybe I'll "try it your way" - thanks for sharing.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BBQ-BoB, Your totally correct, and if one wants to have a super steak, well bronzed with the flavor of mesquite or hickory pronounced..the 400 degrees is great. Crusting over high heat is one way, tender juicy, vibrant steak over moderate heat is also delicious as you have proven.
    Try the low and slow freeze (Cats I think) method and smoke em..take em off and then crank up the heat to the 400 to 500 and do em as you described. Chops too! Great thing about the BGE is the variables you can do with the cooks. Even with the same rubs treatments, the two steaks high and low temps take on different characteristics in flavor.
    Thanks for the post..C~W[p]