Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken kabob advice needed

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first experiment on the egg was chicken kabob. 210 degrees for 4 hours, ordinary old charcoal with hickory, ordinary spices. The texture came out a little dry, and there was a very little taste to the chicken, except maybe a slight "paint" taste (from the old charcoal?).[p]What is the best way to improve the taste and moisture? Will marinade do the trick? Is 210 too hot?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Dave,
    kabobs are grilled much hotter than that, get it up to atleast 350-400 for a much quicker cook. the only part of a chicken i cook at low temps (275) is thighs. get a thermapen and go by temps, forget the times and you will have moister chicken kakobs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Dave,[p]My guess is you cooked them about 3 hours too long and the paint taste might be from too much hickory. I'd just grill them and be eating in 20 minutes. Marinade will make them taste good.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Dave,[p]The "Ordinary Old Charcoal" was lump, right and not briquettes? Personally, I use very little if any wood when smoking chicken. [p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dave,
    don't forget, it's a grill, too![p]some things simply aren't meant for lo and slo. just like some things aren't meant for grilling. you probably used chicken breast, which has little fat. so basically you were making chicken jerky. the low temp air was essentially drying it out. and there's no real fat or collagen to transform by going lo and slo. ...which is why they are almost universally grilled direct. [p]fish and the doc already weighed in, and they are a coupla the best for advice.
    i 'experimented' too. part of the 'honeymoon' period just after getting the egg, where i didn't understand anything, but was gung ho and excited. i eventually learned that for me it was better to find a recipe (especially the great step by step stuff on TNW's site, Wess B's site, etc.) and to follow it until i understood WHY things were done a certain way. if you do that, and get the idea in your head (in this case when to grill, when to smoke), your experimenting will have a baseline. [p]it's pretty interesting watching someone new sign on with a million 'simple' questions, and six months later they are posting stuff none of the drBBQs and fishless types have even ever done. it's a learning curve, but a fast one.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Options
    Dave,[p]Wow, I can't believe you actually got serious answers to such a ridiculous post. You could probably cook them over a BIC lighter in 20 minutes, for that matter. I think you are pulling our collective leg.
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    Never meant to sound weird. I was actually following a recipe I read somewhere for smoking kabobs. The veggies came out great, and the chicken had a great smoked color, it just wasn't as wonderful as I had hoped. [p]If I just wanted to grill it, I could have used my old $25 weber grill. It still works fine, even though it is about to rust through. The reason I spent $900 on an egg is to get some better flavor.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dave,
    ...and because it won't rust through

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Options
    Dave,[p]Sorry, I just never heard of anything like it. I thought you were joking. Kebabs are what I do when I want to sit and eat with my guests because they are so fast and easy...key word being fast. (Not to mention delicious, when done fast, too) The thought of a 4 hour kebab seemed like something humorous to me. I have a weird sense of humor, I guess. DId not mean to offend.