Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

jalapenos on the Big Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried smoking green jalapenos to make a Chipotle style sauce (green instead of red peppers)?

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Melissa Hall,[p]Here is one that should get you started. n Should be easily adapted for BGE. [p]Peppers, Chili, Chipolte, Homemade, Mike Bowers
    [p]Many Jalapeños

1 Preparation:
    2 I did some a couple of weeks ago, and it's worked fine. I used a mixture of peach and hickory; I smoked them for about 8-9 hours then let the fire go out. I finished them in my dehydrator then next morning, though I understand that fresh smoked jalapenos are also good (i.e., not smoked to complete dryness, and stored in the freezer). I've got a second batch that I'll do this weekend using a different technique (well, red jalapenos are only $1/lb at the farmer's market!) suggested in the Chipotle Cookbook (think that's the title). I've frozen a bag of jalapenos, and will pull them out and smoke them - apparently they collapse and caramelize more, giving a somewhat sweeter, smoky taste. I just do it in a typical small water smoker, but I've also smoked stuff in a Weber (small fire on one side, pan of water under grill). I forget the temperature I used (probably around 160F). They suggested that the chilies absorb all the smoke they are going to in 4-6 hours. I also did some serranos and Fresno's at the same time.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Rub, Spice

Recipe Source
    Author: Mike Bowers[p]Source: BGE Forum, Mike Bowers

[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Richard,
    i am going to need to do this too cause i'll be overrun with jalapenos soon! my egg is sitting at 135 on sun power right now. anyone ever try just the sun?