Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jambalaya

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good recipe on how to cook jambalaya on the BGE from start to finish? I have never tried it but think it would be great. Any ideas would be much appreciated![p]DT

Comments

• Saucehog
    Saucehog Posts: 30
    Options
    D. T. Mathews,
    Here is the one I use. I have not doe it on the egg, but it is great:[p]One 3 to 4 pound hen cut into serving pieces
    3 cups long grain rice - uncooked
    1/4 cup cooking oil
    3 medium white onions - chopped fine
    6 cups water (but Chuck says use chicken stock if you want it to be really good)
    1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
    2-1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
    1 cup green onions - chopped
    1/2 cup green peppers
    1/2 cup celery - chopped fine
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Red pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
    Fry chicken in cooking oil until golden brown. Remove chicken and oil leaving just enough oil to cover bottom of pot. Add onions, and fry until golden brown. Put chicken back into pot with onions, and add 6 cups of water (note water level). Add remaining seasoning and simmer covered until chicken is tender. If necessary, add enough water to bring back to previous level. Bring back to a rolling boil, and add rice. Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes - turn rice. Cover with tight fitting lid, let steam for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Turn rice once more, and turn fire off. Let stand for 10 minutes and then serve.
    Jambalaya is more tasty if highly seasoned, so don't forget the red pepper. When adding salt, water should taste a little too salty, as rice absorbs considerable salt.[p]Yield: 6 to 8 generous servings.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    D. T. Mathews,
    We have cooked this one many times and it's great and easy.You can cook it on the egg.
    Larry[p]
    Couzan Billy's Jambalaya[p]1 pound Converted rice, uncooked
    1 can French Onion soup
    8 ounces Tomato sauce
    1/4 pound Butter, cut into pieces
    1 cup Onions, chopped
    1/2 cup Green onion, minced
    1 small Green pepper, diced
    1/4 cup Parsley, fresh, chopped
    3 large Garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon Crab boil
    2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
    2 tablespoons Tabasco
    1 pound Smoked sausage
    1 pound Crawfish tails(or shrimp)
    3 pieces Chicken breasts, cubed
    2 cups Chicken stock
    Heat grill to 350.[p]
    Combine everything in a 5 Quart oven proof pot.[p]
    Mix well. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours or longer. [p]
    You may add more or less chicken stock based on the consistency you want.[p]
    Stir before serving.[p]
    Keeps well.[p]

[p]This recipe courtesy of the From My Kitchen Cookbook. [p]Contributed by Kevin Taylor of Fort Wayne, IN

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    This is similar to mine. [p]To the OP, there seem to be 2 hardcore religions when it comes to jambalaya--with tomatoes, and without. I'm a 'without' kind of person, like the above recipe. I like it kinda dry & brown unlike the Creole versions which is more akin to a gumbo. And feel free to tinker with the recipe. Chicken is popular. You can also add polish sausage or shredded pork. I even like some shrimp in mine on occasion.