Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Issues

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All --[p]I started my first all-nighter a few hours ago. I thought that conventional wisdom was that the grate would be a bit cooler than what the dome thermometer was telling you, but I am seeing grate temps 20-25 degrees higher than dome (both thermometers register boiling at 211-213 degrees). This is really screwing me as I think the shoulder will be done 6-8 hours early (I'm already at 163 on a 10# shoulder).[p]Thoughts?[p]Matt

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Matt,[p]When I've measured, I usually do find the grate lower. However, I have measured higher grate temps when doing direct cooks. Do you have any "indirection" between the butt and the coals?[p]I'd expect that the temperatures will even out as time passes. You could always open the dome and mop the butt. That'll keep it moist. Celtic Wolf has mentioned that everytime the dome is opened, it can add 15 minutes to the cook.[p]Best,
    gdenby