Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Hamburger Patties

Options
JimF
JimF Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, here is what sounds like a stupid question but I am looking for some advice on making hamburger patties. Mine always seem to come out too dense. I normally chop up some onions and mix them in the 80/20 hamburger by hand which may be one cause. Sometimes I mix in some rub or spices with the onions. I then roll into a ball, push an opening into the middle and insert some butter then close the opening. Next I flatten them out by hand on wax paper. I try not to press too hard but don't want them to fall apart either. How do others make their patties so they are not too dense. Thanks.

Comments

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Options
    JimF,

The key to good burgers is to handle the beef the least amount as possible! You want to shape em like you're coddling an egg. And of course don't ever never press it down on the grid once they're cooking![p](Stick to the 80/20:-)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    IMG_1808.jpg
    <p />JimF,
    I'm a firm believer in uniformity using a hamburger press. This makes nice solid packed burgers 4" in diameter and 7/8" thick. I've learned the approximate size ball of meat to make and then press into patties.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JimF,
    One method is to mix in fine grated bread crumbs "Progresso brand" into the meat when forming the patties. It only takes about half a cup per pound. The bread crumbs absorb ALL the juices which makes for a great burger. Try it...you'll like it. JohnZ

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    JimF,[p]One thing you need to do..is after you shape your patties...[p]in the center of the pattie,,..take a spoon or your fingers and give them an indentation..[p]You want the outer part of the pattie to be fatter than the center...[p]That way when they cook you won't get a burger that is fat in the middle...
  • Unknown
    Options
    JimF,
    I always mix an egg with the mixture. Grandma told me so.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    JimF,[p]Mine are also 80/20 -- we stopped buying Costco burger meat because they were just too dense. I use dehydrated onion flakes rather than fresh, and I use panko crumbs - those tend to absorb some of the fat and keep the burger moist. Spices are usually dried basil, parsley, garlic powder, and DizzyPig Raising the Steaks (this is the only thing I use it in - I guess I'm the exception - but it replaces the salt and pepper I'd have added previously.) I press them only enough to keep them together and yes, occasionally I lose a bit. It took me a long time to accept that I shouldn't mash them into perfect uniformity but the difference is significant.
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    dunno,
    That's an old Italian meatball trick too.

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    JimF,
    One of the most important procedures when grilling a hamburger is to turn it over ONE time, and no more than ONE time! It will remain juicy.

• Unknown
    Options
    JimF, Hey I use ground chuck. add little seasoning, your preference, make them big cuz they will shrink put them on the BGE at 450 they are mr after one turn at about 3 min 3 mor min and they are almost well done, but still juicy. don't add anything to the burger until you take it off the grill. you can add some chopped onion cooked on the grill or fresh. they don't fall apart! Cooking with the BGE is so darn foolproof. cindi
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP,
    i am with you on uniformity. where did you get your mold?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    88641236.jpg
    <p />JimF,
    they way to not overwork the burger and have them not fall apart when cooking is to put the prepared burger in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes, then put them on the grill. cooking them over 160 degrees internal per the govt safety guidlines also seems to make them more dense in texture. i stopped cooking them like that, i like a burger cooked about medium

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    okiesmokie,
    a now defunct kitchen gadget shop in a shopping mall.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RRP,
    Here is a pretty good hamburger press and I think Tupperware has one.
    Larry

[ul][li]Hamburger Press[/ul]