Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get high temps to cook steak

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cleaned all the ash out my large egg and am using BGE lump charcoal, but can only seem to get the temp up to about 550; it used to go up to 750 to 800. What am I doing wrong.

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    Running Cold, this happened to me once, after cleaning and replacing the "guts" did not properly align with the vent hole. Once i corrected that little scew up no more problem.
    If not check TNW's web page he has many a FAQ's. this might be one of them

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Another issue is the amount of lump in the box....perhaps you need a couple more handfuls there....when doing hot-n-fast cooks I also like to use all the small pieces I've set aside when grading out lump for the longer cooks........[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Running Cold,[p]Dittos on the other responses, but I've also had good success with a hair dryer blowing into the lower vent. Achieving nuclear temps is a function of air flow, and there's nothing wrong with "goosing" the process with more air.

• Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    Options
    Roudy,[p]I second the hair dryer trick. It'll get your egg up to nuclear+ temps. I use it on my mini often and get for 0 to nuclear in under 5 mins.[p]Ottawa_egger