Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct Butt

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I had planned to, I did a butt (about 5 lbs) direct on the 4th of July. I got the idea fom a recipe from Smokestack Lightning (which I've posted about before). I started it out with no rub, fat side down for about an hour. Then I salted both sides and cooked it about 10-11 more hours at around 250. The recipe said to turn it every 15 minutes, but I turned it more like once an hour. I didn't use a polder, but I checked it with an instant read thermometer a few times. I think it got up to about 180 when I took it off. It pulled pretty good, without too much leftover fat. No crust, of course, but I think the fat dripping on the coals added some flavor. [p]I might try this again next time I do a butt, but with a spice rub. I learned a couple of things from this: a) with a low temp cook on the Egg you really don't need a drip pan and b) you can get good pulled pork without an overnight cook.