Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Steak?

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my new Large BGE yesterday. I want my first meal off of it to be a truly delicious Blackened Steak. Does anyone have a good recipe for this? Thanks

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    mark, if you mean blackened ala Paul Prudhomme, you're looking at the wrong equipment IMHO. To blacken it requires a super hot skillet and lots of open air. Now, you take those same spices and coat your steak. Crank your BGE up to the 650-750 neighbor hood by opening the bottom vent all the way and taking off the daisy wheel or rain cap off the top. DOn't tarry away from the BGE too long or you might think you're sitting at 100 (only to find you've gone past 750 over to the 100 mark). Then, place your steak on the grill for three minutes, flip and leave it for another three minutes and then close both vents and leave it for zero to 6 minutes depending on how rare (0) or well done (6 minutes) you like it. THis is assuming the steaks you have are about 1.25" to 2" thick. If thinner cut your initial times down. It's not blackened but it sure is delicious.

• Ksdaddio
    Ksdaddio Posts: 32
    Options
    mark,
    I have not done blackened steak, but I have done blackened chicken, and catfish on the Egg, and thought it was as good as the cast iron skillet method. I liked the fish better on the Egg. I think it burns the spice that we all want just as well, and the taste is still good enough to fight over.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    mark,

When Barb & I were down in Waldorf M.D for eggfest2000, we stopped off at a restaurant for lunch. I had one heck of a blackend steak sandwich, and made it a point to stop again this year for the same thing. If you try to blacklen, let us know. I would love to be able to reproduce that taste on the egg.[p]Earl

• Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
    Earl,[p]I live in Waldorf (5 years now) and would like to know what restaraunt you're talking about! Lots-o-eatin places here, but a blackened steak sand sounds great -- wife from Louisiana, lived in New Mexico, etc, so we do lots-o-spices in all our cookin (if you don't sweat when eating, it ain't worth it).[p]FYI, I was at the 2001 Waldorf Fest and picked up one of the demo models. It hasn't had a chance to cool off yet. Become a real cultist. Built a double-rack for the egg yesterday, 4 Jul, then capped off the day grilling some buffalo steaks. Heaven![p]Thanks,[p]Wazoo