Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have wanted a BGE for years and I finally got one today. I bought a slightly used (the Demo) large egg with the daisy top and a nest from Barbeques Galore. I picked up some lump charcoal as well. Been reading some of the forum and keep reading about a place setter. What is a place setter, where does it go, what does it do, where do I get one, and do I really need one? I have a nice DCS gas grill and a large off-set steel pit, I got the BGE for two reasons: I want to be able to grill over charcoal on occasion (I like the ease of gas, but miss the taste of real charcoal) and when I fire up my pit, it takes a lot of wood and I feel like I should cook a ton of food, with the BGE I should be able to smoke a reasonable amount of meat with less hassle.[p]Besides the Daisy top and nest that I got with my large egg, what accessories should I invest in?

Comments

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Whitson,
    Here we go again with dealers selling the Egg and don't have a clue what the hell it does. Welcome to the forum Whitson. Here is where you will get all the knowledge you will ever need to cook on the Egg. First, you will need to get the plate setter. It is an essential item for the Egg. It sits below the grill inverted as a heat shield for low and slow cooks as well as a place to sit a drip pan. It can also be placed with legs down and used for pizza. As time goes on, you will use the gasser less and probably get rid of the wood cooker. Been there done that as most here have. Just remember a couple of things, don't ever use charcoal bricks or lighter fluid. To light the Egg, I personally like the convenience of a propane trash burner. Here is a site to get an idea.
    Keep reading this forum, you will be a pro in no time. [p] http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91037[p]Chef Jerry[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]thanks, while i don't have that question i quess there is at least two of us newbies out there today. Whitson - good lucj to you sir[p]tim

• Unknown
    Options
    somkey bottom boys,
    Thanks.
    I know that I will enjoy my BGE.