Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control: "Dang Nabbit!"

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The big bird has been on for an hour and a half at, ostensibly, 325.
I know that the build-up of temp had to account for the mass of the plate setter to effect an indirect cook, and then of course, 24lb. of bird. Sat down to post to Gretl over a half hour ago, thought stuff was stabile, and zoom,zoom,zoom......it was well over 400!! Now I've got the Daisy down to half an opening with the large top totally closed, and the bottom vent is about 1/4"...seems stable. Got to go to the office---and fearful that it will fall below the 325. The firebox was filled with fresh BGE lump..so we've got lots of fuel. Comments? Dankeshoen!!!!

Comments

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I'm no expert. How long are you gone for? I think that setting should be safe for a couple of hours ...[p]Rotor
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]Learning approximate vent settings vs. ultimate dome temp is all a part of the Egg. Your logic is right on. Your vent settings still sound a bit larger than my experience. I would close the daisey to 1/8" (widest) opening. The meal will continue to warm up.[p]Spin
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I bring my temps up slowly and when I hit temp I generally can close the bottom vent to the width of a knife blade for really low temps 200º - 250º
    For higher temps, fooling with a knife width plus a skoshie moves me to 300º +
    I have actually left the daisy wheel off a lot of times and I seem to be able to maintain my temps pretty well.
    Hope maybe some of this helps[p]Carey

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Just called the wife....dropped to 275, and I told her to crack the bottom vent a bit more....thanks for all the emergency help, folks!!