Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got me a wok ring!

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to "the Egger formerly known as Sandbagger", it arrived yesterday! (FWIW-I mailed the check over the weekend)[p]Now a basic question: what temps do you go for when putting the wok on? [p]For instance, when doing veggies like broccoli, do you go for a temp of, say 400, and then put the wok in, add oil and broccoli and you're cooking? a little lower temp for softer veggies and a little higher for meat/seafood?[p]I'm looking forward to getting the whole meal cooked on the Egg! Actually, I've done it before with baked vegetables, but I like wokked veggies better, especially in Summer.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    woks are sort of always on "high" essentially. you move things up the sides of a wok too slow their cooking, which is why you want a semi-rough one, not too perfectly smooth.[p]that said... of course you can crank the fire up or down depending on how hot you want things. i think a medium-hot fire in the egg (450-500) would translate to "high" on a stove top. ...which i guess means, you probably won't ever cook over a 600/700 degree egg fire.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    Thanks and how was your weekend?
    Are you just rolling in now?[p]
    heh,heh,heh....

• stike
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    got in yesterday with the hill-man. around 3
    was good. great time.[p]you?

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    stike,
    Weather was great!
    Busy weekend but good. Only one kids game all weekend (late sunday afternoon).
    Hopefully the grass I planted grows.[p]Cooked Strip Steaks, BBQ Drumsticks, Stuffed Chicken Breasts, RRP Monkeybread in Clay pots and Cheeseburgers. Everything came out great except I cooked the burgers too long (no one complained but they were too done for my liking). Somewhere along the way I cooked Tuna steak again, I think I'll be cooking that a lot this summer![p]I've been using that Natures Lump stuff (or whatever they call it) that they sell at Rounds and it seems to be pretty good. Slow starting but seems to cook pretty well and only $12/20 lbs.

• stike
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    found R/O there for $10/20#[p]no sparks. looks to be the good stuff

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Flashback Bob, you can do more than just wok with the spider. How about a medium bge cast iron grid for searing, put a bge pizza stone or 14" round pizza pan on it for indirect cooking. Sounds like you dig the wok scene, a good steak fire should do the trick as temp goes for wok cooking. Enjoy, Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.