Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked salmon!

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a batch yesterday - it turned out pretty good![p]smokedsalmon3.jpg[p]I had to sample it, of course![p]smokedsalmon1.jpg[p]I couldn't fail with my trusty Quality Control team! (He's got a salmon chunk in his talons - you can see a little bit of it)[p]eagle524.jpg[p]Hopefully after this weekend I will be making more! :)

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    melissa,
    that looks great...how about times/temps/treatments/etc. . .[p]and that is your best eagle pic yet!! .. .very cool. . .[p]ps. .will brent eat salmon that hasn't been treated with 2 sticks of butter??

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Great photos![p]To me, the DOF on the third photo is perfect.

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    WOW!!! Per our conversations about this last night, that sound you hear is me at your door. Also I love eagle pictures, I get to see a few every spring on a fishing trip to FL but have never gotten anything like the photos you post of them. Thank you for all of them you can post.
    Tom

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    WOW!!!! that is some of the best "BUT BITTEN" salmon i have ever seen[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    wow, on all counts.
    you do a hot smoke or did you try cold smoking?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    You expect me to give out my secrets????? Pah....[p]Ok - first, I covered the salmon pretty heavily with kosher salt and brown sugar. I covered it and let it sit overnight. The next day I rinsed the salt & sugar off the fish, then I sprinkled it lightly with Shakin The Tree and let it set out to form the pellicle (skin). That took a couple of hours.[p]Then I fired the egg up and stabilized it at about 225* (I would have liked less, but that wasn't going to happen for some reason). I tossed on a ton of alder chunks/ branches/ chips to make a heavy smoke. The heavy smoke lasted for about an hour which is just right for a "hot smoke". The fish stayed on the egg for a grand total of about 2.5 hours at around 200-225*.[p]If I had more time I would have done the dryer hose thing with the small & large connected and done a cold smoke for about 8 hours or so.[p]Anyway - all in all it came out fairly decent!
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    It was a hot smoke this time. I posted how I did it in my response to Max.
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]Thanks! I was using a lens that I don't use very often so it is hard to tell if I've got it right. Seems that for every one good pic I have about 15 crappy ones! :)
  • stike
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    ...answered my question.
    real nice work there. damn.[p]if you do the dryer-hose gag, you could always just have it dump from the small (for your fire)into a cardboard box, rather than the egg. might be easier. i think attaching to the lower vent might be difficult-ish.[p]have a good holiday up there.
    love,

• AlaskanC
    Options
    alright - stoppit!! If I keep laughing they are going to know I'm not working![p]Anyway - I did the cardboard box ghetto thing last year - it worked pretty good!
  • stike
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    yeah
    i saw it after i posted. DOH![p]looked great.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    AlaskanC, Holy Smokes - that looks good. I see that new camera is getting lots of use.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    You've done it again! Great job all the way around.[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    because your photos always look good! But sadly, I don't...[p]GTAGO

• Unknown
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    If you were to use the dryer hose... how does this work... then do you use heat later? Very interested

• Unknown
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    If you were to use the dryer hose... how does this work... then do you use heat later? Very interested

• stike
    Options
    BbqKid,
    hose over the top vent, cools the smoke as it travels to a a secondary chamber where the food is. idea is to get the smoke below 140 i think, the threshold for cold vs hot smoking[p]one is cooking (hot smoke) the other, cold smoking, is more like preserving (uses a brine, etc.)

• Unknown
    Options
    stike,
    Dumb question but.... the do you hot smoke it at a later date? or what would be the bennifit to doing it this way... that much better flavor?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BGESmokerBox.jpg
    <p />stike,[p]Did you see these pictures that were floating around a couple of months ago? I think this set-up would be sweet for cheese and other cold smoking. The styro cooler is a nice touch. I bet a cardboard box would work too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    You've been busy. Nice pictures. [p]I'm turning the Egg completely off and taking a much needed nap. I'll catch up on all your adventures later. But on these, you did good.[p]Spring "Sleepy As The Fourth Dwarf" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA