Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Sale Update

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a 9.5 pound (whole) brisket from King Soopers at their sale price ($0.99 a pound). Fat cap was as thick as I've ever seen, but I went ahead as usual and barbecued it "as is" after overnight marination, followed with a dry rub. 8 hours at 275º dome temp got the internal temp to 205º. Then a foil wrap for a half-hour cool-down, trimming and carving. Yield was only about 45%, but it was among the best briskets I've ever eaten, definitely the best I've ever done.[p]If you live in an area served by King Soopers, this is one sale you won't want to miss (expires midnight Tuesday.)

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BlueSmoke, thats a nice size brisket..I find the huge brisket are not necessarily the best. That fat cap helps a lot.
    Try the next one at no higher than 250 and see if you note a difference. Sounds like your achieving your goals. And thats what is important.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    IMHO fat cap is more important than size: but trying to find a huge brisket with good fat cap is needle in a haystack time. I monitored grate temp with a polder - it was steady at 263º for the entire cook. One thing I'll definitely do again: before I set the plate setter, etc. in place I laid a layer of mixed pecan and osage orange chunks over the entire top of the lump. (This was about 200º dome.) Set the set-up up, and when I started to get smoke out the top I put the brisket in.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BlueSmoke, sounds good on the smoking chunks if you like a lot of smoke. If you don't want the wood to dry out and flame, put it in about the middle of your charcoal fill and then fill on top of it with more charcoal..this keeps any flame from accurring due to dry wood chunks.
    Enjoy how ever you fire and smoke..
    Char-Woody[p]