Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp with plate setter..??

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing ribs later today... Probably my 4th attempt. Anyway..one thing I have been waiting to ask for awhile is about the temp with and without the plate setter. I like to get the dome temp to about 250 when doing the ribs throughout the entire cook, but I have found that for the first 2 stages of the 3/1/1 method ,that requires a plate setter, i actually need to get the dome temp up to about 300 or 350 before I put the plate setter on because once I put it on, the dome temp drops to my desired 250.[p]Is this expected for the temp to drop when the plate setter is put on? Or should i get the egg to 250 before putting plate setter on?

Comments

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    I put the platesetter on right after the starter cubes have burned out and then bring the whole mass up to my desired temp. But you can do it any way you want as long as you're stable at 250 before the ribs go on.
    Paul

• toomsdpt
    toomsdpt Posts: 141
    Options
    Essex County,[p]do you throw the wood in before putting plate setter on.. so starter cubes finaly burn out, then throw wood, then plate setter?
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]Try the ribs without the wood for a start. A lot of people get enough 'smoke' from just the lump. This way things don't get confusing for you.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    You mean the wood for smoking? For a long cook, like ribs, I mix chips in with the lump to get a little smoke throughout the cook. For other indirect cooks, I get the egg up to temp and then toss on chips or a couple of chunks. Then I use a spatula to deflect the chips into the center of the fire and wait a few minutes for the thick smoke to clear.
    Paul