Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For long cooks, start fire on top or on bottom?

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a couple of butts tonight and I've go just a few questions. I've tried starting it both ways, but have a mental problem with starting the fire on top! For some reason I think of fire burning up, not down. Yet there have been times before where the temps got to high. What are you thoughts?[p]Also, I've never cooked 2 butts at once before. Should I allow any extra time for this or should I just plan off the weight of the heaviest?[p]Thanks as always for all your help. Frank

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Franco,
    Start it from the top and start small....if you have a polder just cook to an internal of 200° you can check each individually..and it should take no longer than if you were only doing the one..they should be done at about the same time assuming they are cose to the same weight...[p]Wess

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Franco,[p]I use about a one inch square of the fire-starter placed 'ont top' of the lump. The other way I've done it is to make a small hole - key word is small - put the fire-starter in it kight her off and cover with a larger piece of lump. That should make you feel okay about fire starting "up".[p]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Franco,[p]The idea that fire burns up is from the fact that heat rises. Fire will travel reliably in either direction. A top started Egg fire burns down because it is following the fuel and oxygen sources. A bottom started fire tends to heat quicker as it starts from the oxygen source and then burns up into the fuel following the heat it produced.[p]I do feel it is easier to control the cooking temperature on a low and slow cook when starting the fire from the top. A single small (fist sized) fire in the top center of the lump is all that is needed.[p]Plan the cooking time using the heaviest butt, and monitor the internal temp of the smaller one. Remove the smaller one to a covered resting place while the larger one finishes.[p]Spin