Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken on the chicken prop

Options
Buckgeis
Buckgeis Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I just did our first chicken in our new large BGE using the wire chicken prop. We set it directly on a drip pan. It occurs to me that if we had slightly elevated it with a small round cooling rack, it would have lifted the base of the bird up a bit, allowing heat to rise up the inside the bird. Could it be that this is in fact what you are supposed to do? Thanks for tips.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Buckgeis,
    Yes. The further away the meat is from the deflector, the more air circulation you will get, and the more even your cooking will be. Every time I have had meat that was close to the drip pan, I have had uneven results. 4-6 inches of space is perfect in my opinion. CW is also a big advocate of the "leave plenty of space" rule!![p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, your on the money! Stands to reason, any part of the cook that the closest to the proximity of the deflector is going to cook differently. To eleviate that you need uniform heat/air movement.
    Cheers back..
    C~W[p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Buckgeis,
    I use the plate sitter inverted (legs up). Then put my drip pan (a 12 inch pizza pan covered with foil, easy clean up) on the flat suface between the legs and grate on top of the legs. This gives about a 3 inch air space and makes the grid even with the top of Egg. Works Great!
    B D