Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dang, that was good chicken...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past I have cooked whole chickens on a v-rack, beer-can style, and spatched. This time I quartered it and cooked it direct on the extended grid. Just sprinkeled it with my chicken dust and put it on. The Egg ranged between 350 and 400 degrees dome. Having the chicken quartered permitted me to dust the quarters all around for better flavor, and turn/move the quarters around on the grid for more uniform cooking/doneness. I've always cooked batches of wings like this, and am glad I finally got around to cooking quarters this way. A chicken cooked whole makes a nice presentation, but this is the primary way I'll cook chicken in the future. Just thought I'd pass this along -- thinking maybe someone else is as slow to catch on as I am. LOL

Comments

• onelegchef
    onelegchef Posts: 119
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    our family does not care much for white meat so I cook leg quarters all the time,love them. were in Texas are you?
    Bobby-FTW,Tx

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    d8c35838.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,[p]Bingo on the technique, total control. Try lowering your actual grate temp to 250° - 300°, you might like those results too. Either indirect or raised direct, plan on 2-1/2 to 3 hours. (I think raised direct is my favorite) Quarters are great, but halves cut on the radial instead of the axis are my favorite for the very reasons you mentioned.[p]95febc5a.jpg[p]gh5a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    onelegchef, I'm retired and live in The Hills, a village in Lakeway. Lakeway is a few miles west of Austin on Lake Travis. The dark meat is our favorite too, but we buy whole chickens sometimes and either eat the white meat or use it in a casorile.

• Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye, those are great pics. The radial cut is really interesting. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    IMG_0155Small.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    I did raised grid direct @ 250 for the first time yesterday and was pleased with the results. -RP

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Try some of that left over meat in a chicken salad! It is great to add some unusual ingredients like diced apple and white raisins, to the green onion, celery, and mayo. Also add a dash of the BBQ rub for flavoring.