Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizzas

Options
Bearseggs
Bearseggs Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first pizzas today, I'd call it a success. I had been wanting to do this for quite some time now, finally got the time and help and people interested in trying a different style and taste of pizza. I found a recipe from a BGE cookbook, did a double batch, got 4/ 13 in. pizzas. Now here's the thing, I always hear you folks saying less is best when applying toppings then cooking on the egg.Well when we make pizza it never turns out that way. We seem to end up with a creation at least 2 in. high before cooking. I did'nt know how it would turn out being so thick, hoping it would turn out ok. Started the egg a little late, pressure was on to get cooking, so the first pizza went in at 425F took about 25 min. egg temp 475F when done. Egg temp slowly increasing over the next 2 pizzas. The last pizza dome temp was 525F only took 12 min. for this one. I used a legs down place setter, 3 fire bricks to elevate the pizza ceramic platter above the rim. The family and friends loved the pizza, The wife even surprised me saying she loved it. She thought she might not like the smokey taste on a pizza. Since they cook so fast there isn't much of that. All in all a great day, however I did fry my gasket. I'm assuming its because the original gasket was saturated with grease from a year of cooking and the elevated platform and high heat. After reading your views on gasket meltdowns I prepared for this and have a couple on hand, not the felt type. To end off, I say heap on the toppings, put on all the things you love, it all cooks up just great, Love the BGE, wish I had pics, have'nt got that figured out yet. Soon come! Everyone have a great evening. Bearseggs

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Bearseggs,
    Thanks for sharing your first with us. I still haven't made one from scratch but it's on the list of things to do in this lifetime.[p]Spring "The 'z's' in 'Pizza' Make Me Sleepy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA