Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BabyBacks

Options
RittmanRod
RittmanRod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my 1st great ribs on the egg today, Question is was it the time, they went a solid 8 hrs, 8:15am started pretty steady dome of 275-290, probe laying on top of ribs never got above 220, from 4-to 4:20 put Montgomery Inn on one rack, spicy KC masterpiece on the other, took em off and truly fall off the bone. or was it because this is the 1st batch I cooked flat instead of in a rack on edge? I suspect the time factor. was only able to do 2 racks laying flat, coulda probably got a third rack on if I placed better, on the LG, but the racks on edge give much more capacity, are baby backs best in the 8 hr time frame of was the fact they were laying flat the diference?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RittmanRod,[p]Man, I've been waiting for someone else to bite on your question.... No disrespect intended but I've never cooked BB's much over 4 or 5 hours, much less 8. I don't know how you did it with good results at those dome temps. Even if your dome thermometer was wacko, and reading high I would have thought you would have had jerky after 8 hours.[p]But you had a second thermometer. Your probe on the meat would have been reading a little low since it was in contact with the meat, so lets say your temp at the grate was really 230°-240°, that would jive with the temps from your dome thermometer.[p]Sorry for a long response with a crappy answer. I'm as confused as a baby raccoon.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    That seems long to me too. If it worked for you it worked.[p]You in Dayton? I don't see many folks mentioning Montgomery Inn bbq sauce besides me.[p]H

• Unknown
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    8 hours! Were these brontosaurus ribs? :P