Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers for 20

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Get to prepare burgers for 20 on Sat on my large BGE. Never cooked that many before--any advice or past experience is much appreciated. Am concerned about the amount of grease/juices hitting the lump, flaming up, possible bad taste as a result, etc.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    bgefan,
    there won't be any real flame unless the lid is open. that means flipping will be when the flames should kick in.[p]first i'd try to establish a fire with as few hot spots as possible, so that things are fairly even. hopefully that means most of the burgers will cook close to the same rate. that should help minimize the open/shut/open/shut foolishness. then, when you open the dome to flip, try shutting the lower vent. that should help a little bit with flames. it will initially starve the fire of the oxygen from the draft you've established. grease in an egg will light up, but only when there's spare oxygen (dome open). shutting the lower vent might help. you'll still get some flaring when you open to flip, but hopefully not as much. maybe shutting the lower vent will buy time.[p]when you shut the lid, kick the vent open again. the fire will die down inside even if there's grease dripping. it'll take a second, but it'll go out. all the oxygen will be consumed as it comes up through the lump, and your fat flames will wither and die.[p]trick i think is to make the burgers about the same thickness, and few hot spots.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • grilln & chilln
    Options
    get the fire going and then stir the coals a little just to distribute the fire evenly. just my 2 cents
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    stike,
    How do you control the hot spots?[p]Gwen