Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Pot Recommendations

Options
Smoke Diver
Smoke Diver Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I am thinking about getting a cast iron pot to use with my large egg to make beans and other to be identified "stuff".[p]I would appreciate any recommendations as to the most useful size and where to buy it.[p]Thanks[p]Smoke Diver
Smoke Diver

Comments

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I got a nice 3 quart cast iron pot I use for beans from Bass Pro. It was made by Lodge.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Smoke Diver,
    If you've not noticed I'm a big fan of the enamel coated variety. I bought my first one at target for 39.99, that was after looking for some time at Le Creuset pots that were more than twice that at the discount type stores (Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning etc).[p]In Oklahoma City I found at Walmart some enameled cast iron at Walmart in the same range. They had a 6.5 qt model for 39.99 (my Target pot is smaller) and a 3 qt braiser for either 19.99 or 29.99 I can't remember.[p]I've seen folks talk about Lodge cookware and they love it.[p]For my needs I was cooking adobo chicken which has vinegar in it and I just didn't want to put vinegar in the cast iron cause I've heard that acidic foods can be problematic in cast iron. I've had no problems with the Target pot and have not used the Walmart ones (the brand is Tramoneta or something along those lines).[p]Hope that helps.

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoke Diver,
    I LOVE the real cast iron cookware. In particulr the Lodgeware stuff will last you 3 lifetimes. You can get them on line or at many stores like Bass Pro SHops.

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoke Diver,
    i bought a seasoned cast iron 4 quart at target. really like it, i made some chili yesterday in it and turned out great.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Smoke Diver,[p] All my iron is Lodge. [p]Lodge
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Smoke Diver,
    i use the #12 deep camp oven with the legs, the top has a smooth interior that can be used as a skillet. you need to use a stone under this model. i also have a lecrueset that gets used more, i dont like the taste that cast iron leaves on tomato based foods, the cast iron is my potroast pot. i also use the big boston bean pot and have smaller ones as well, they make the best beans.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dixie_Flyer
    Dixie_Flyer Posts: 52
    Options
    Smoke Diver,[p]I've got a 10" Lodge cast iron dutch oven that I bought at the Lodge Factory Outlet store in South Pittsburg TN...it works great -- it fits in my large but is too big for my small

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoke Diver,
    I have a Lodge Mfg. 7qt Dutch oven cast iron pot.
    LOVE IT.
    Go to Amazon.com and type dutch oven or cast iron pot
    in the search field. Look for items made by Lodge Mfg.
    Lodge Mfg. is located in South Pittburg, TN not to
    far from my house. I bought my cast iron pot cheaper
    from Amazon than I could have bought it from the factory
    at Lodge.