Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hooked on seafood pie,

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_3793.jpg
<p />The hardest part is makin the crust. A little rich with half and half and eggs for the custard but oh boy is it good. I use whatever fish is available; scallops, shrimp, salmon, trout, lobster, crab, whitefish, cod. This one has three anchovies on top.
High in the dome is where it's at to bake it good. I like making seafood pie a day ahead as the flavor is better the next day...so this is what's for lunch today.
Clay

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ClayQ,
    any specifics on the recipe, lard crust ok? and how to make the custard, ive never done that. do you cook the seafood first. would like to try that, looks good.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Give it up! How do you make that? Would store bought pie crust work?

• Clay Q
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Lard is good, I use shortening. The custard is; 5 eggs(2 yokes discarded), one cup half and half. Whisk togeter. This will make more than enough custard for the pie, leftover can be baked in custard cups with some maple syrup poured into the bottom of the cup.[p]Large scallops and most fish should be saut'ed first. I get onions, mushrooms saut'ed (1/2 cup) in a heavy cast iron with butter then remove to a plate so I can lightly saut'e fish next. Previously cooked fish like salmon/shrimp/scallops from the egg should be warmed up, nothing more. [p]Whatever cheese you like, (cheddar, colby, jack) grated, one cup. Seasoning, I like Old Bay and fresh cracked pepper, salt.[p]First make pie crust and chill a couple of hours - it will roll out easer. I use a large ceramic pie dish. Get the egg going burning clean and bake at 400 dome 8-10 minutes. You want to pre-bake so the crust is cooked. Raised grid with bricks or pizza stone high in the dome is best setup. [p]Once the crust is baked (the hard part is over) build the pie. Half a cup of cheese on the bottom, then half of the saut'ed mushroom and onion (1/4 cup), then seafood (about 1 cup), seasoning dusted on at this time, then pour in the custard mix leaving enough room for the remaining 1/2 cup cheese to sprinkle on top with remaining onion and mushroom. If you have a little 'juice' from the saut'e pan you can drizzel on top for added flavor. Crack some pepper, salt, and the pie is ready to bake. About 20 minutes at 400 dome, test with a toothpick in the center, custard will be 'set' when done.
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Sure, that would work. 'How to' is posted to fishlessman, see below.
    Clay

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ClayQ,
    ill give it a try one of these weekends, looks good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    ClayQ,