Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wokking on the Egg

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have placed my order for the Spider with the Artist formerly known as Sandbagger, and I have a couple basic questions-[p]When cooking with a wok on the Egg, what kind of temps do you use for different stuff (veggies, meat, fish, etc)? I figured you cook with the dome open, but probably want to start with a fire that's not too hot. Am I correct?[p]I would like to use it mostly for vegetables - cook the meat on the Egg first then pull it off, throw the wok in and stir-fry some veggies.[p] Am I going to have trouble with oil spattering into the Egg, or does it burn off pretty much right away? Cooking indoors that seems to be a continual problem.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Wok around 375-450, play with it. The small amount of oil(peanut recommended) should not cause a problem if you roll it down the side of the wok rather than just dump it into a hot wok, if you ever use a chili oil, be very careful as it might flash and the caspium(chili) will burn your eyes like pepper spray. Heavy gloves are sometimes preferred as the edges can get hot. Drop me an email addy and will send some egg/wok recipes.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    jeezum, Bob. wasn't long ago you were shrugging when i asked when you were gonna get the egg! now you've blown right by me and are pimping your BGE.[p]sorry i'm just responding now, but i slept in til about 11 today. i do not miss cbt!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flashback Bob,
    I don't know what kind of wok you have...Mine is carbon steel and I crank my egg (Bruce) as high as I can get him. It works great! I've noticed at authentic asian restaurants they have a very hot fire going under the woks, so I do the same. Also, if the fire isn't hot enough, the veggies tend to sit in their own juices, instead of it cooking off and getting a true fry. I don't change the temps for different ingredients, just the time they cook. I put the meat or fish in first, then the veggies. One thing I always do with fish is finish with Sriracha Chili Sauce. YUM!! OK, now I'm going to have to have stir-fry tonight...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    we always used our wok over high heat... and medium or low was simply dragging the food up the sides of the wok. you don't want a super smooth wok, or it all will slide right to the middle.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]I stopped wokking on my eggs. But I do enjoy outdoor wokking so I just use my turkey fryer setup. [p]It's fast, safe and taste the same (at least to me). And I do not burn thru charcoal or my hair....as usual my .02