Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ping: thirdeye

Options
wannabebackinTexas
wannabebackinTexas Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
thirdeye,[p]I have done two prime rib roasts now using your posted preparations and timing recommendations. THANK YOU, Sir! These have been the best prime ribs I have ever eaten, much less cooked. You are a tribute to eggdome.[p]I'll try to post pictures soon after I get the hang of using Photobucket and my Pentax K100D.[p]Good eggin'
-paul

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    wannabebackinTexas,[p]Thanks for the kind words. It's funny you should mention timing, because I have no sense of it. I usually stick those roasts after an hour then adjust the pit temp up or down based on the reading. A lot of people have asked about minutes per pound so right before Christmas of '05 I started keeping track. Both with my cooks and other folks as well that used this method. Over the next year, I sort of took an average and that is how I came up with the time posted on my site. (I still put a lot of trust in the thermometer)[p]Looking forward to seeing some pictures.[p]~thirdeye~[p]BTW, where in Texas are you from?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    wannabebackinTexas,
    With a handle like that I take it you are a Texas Boy. Well, we can't transfer you back here but we can sure invite you to the Texas Eggfest on the 28th. Come sit a spell with us.[p]Spring "Up Past My Roost Time" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]You are right, sir! I try to get back down for visiting every year or two, especially down around Rockport. I've up here in Idaho for the past 12 years but am approaching (faster than I had planned) that point in life where one quits working for the company and moves back to the Hill country and live quietly. [p]I can't make the Texas Eggfest on the 28th, but the next time I'm in the Houston area I'll give you a shout. Cheers![p]Oh, by the way, next Sunday is San Jacinto Day......[p]good eggin'
    -paul

• wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Really the only timing I use is to tell everyone when they can expect to eat. I use a Polder and BBQ Guru to contol the heat and monitor internal temperature. [p]I was born in Fort Worth, lived in Amarillo, Lubbock, Plano,
    Houston and Austin. I left Austin in 1983 to chase the dollar.The plan is to move around Bandara in about 10 years.[p]This forum and the egg keeps me settled enough that I can tolerate this workin' for awile longer up here in Idaho.[p]'One can take a boy out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of a boy'[p]Good eggin'
    -paul[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    wannabebackinTexas,[p]I grew up in Corpus, the family had a ranch up in Bee County. We had roots in Wyoming and moved here in '69. I doubt I'll ever leave.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery