Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ATK Method... or xeRT

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ATK.jpg
<p />The current issue of Cook's had a new to me method for cooking steaks. America's Test Kitchen decided to roast them until they were almost done (125 for medium, 115 for rare) and then sear them. The claim was that the steaks would not have that grey dead meat between the sear and the pink part that you usually get. So I put the test kitchen to the test. I roasted two fillets, one to 110 (I like mine raw) and one to 125 in a 350 degree oven. I popped them onto an 800 degree egg for one minute on each side (sure as hell don't make gaskets the way they did five years ago!!). I pulled them off and let them rest and they hit the target temperatures of 145 and 125. When we cut into them, there was no dead grey stuff, just perfect pink from sear to sear. Sorry, we ate the evidence. But trust me, this reverse TRex is a winner![p]

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]I read the same article. It's sort of follows the article they did on prime rib about 10 years ago, and the article about what someone here on the Egg Forum nicknamed the "hot tub" method, both of which I like very much. They make a good point about even doneness.[p]The way I see it, searing at the end of the cook lets you take advantage of a greater amount of sugars and proteins which have come to the surface of the steak or roast during the cook. This browning (“Maillard Reaction”) takes less time to happen at the end of the cook since the juices are more concentrated and the product is already hot. And for me, I find it easier to raise the temp of the Egg than to lower it. I like end sears on thicker steaks and standing rib roasts. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Hot tub method was coined from one of my employees that used his hot tub to warm some steaks for his dinner guests. Since hot tubs are normally kept at 100-104, It was a lot easier to put the ziplocks in there than trying to keep 8 steaks @ 100 in a sink. Every one agreed they were the best cooked steaks they ever had. One gal was very upset that they wouldn't be able to cook steaks like that because they didn't own a hot tub. -RP

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Someone here on the forum nicknamed the 'hot tub' method? Wow, that's really cool. Was it the guy who made the first "Hot Tub Tri-Tip" posting?[p]Yeah, I like reverse sear also.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]But what if I wanted to do the stak without an oven? Just on the Egg, and no pre-heat. Its been quicker for me to sear, and drop the temperature to finish, than partially cook the meat, and then run up for a finish sear. [p]gdenby
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    I did a reverse(trex) sear last night. It was fine, tasted good.

• gdenby,[p]I would guess the opposite. Get a fire well established at 350F, bake the steak to 110F or so, remove it to let it rest, remove the cap and open the sliding door all the way and the egg should be nuking in about 5 or 10 minutes, a lot less time than it takes to cool it down from nucular :-) temps.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AZRP,[p]That's cool.....uh, I mean hot![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • gdenby,[p]It is also my experience that going from 350 to nuke is much faster than trying go from plus 700 back to 350. I cook neary all of our red meat in reverse Trex. I do pork chops that way too.[p]Kinger aka "JNK"
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    it's alot like the hot tub method. the steak is basically warmed up much more than "room temp" before it gets seared.[p]some folks call for "room temp". at best, after an hour on the counter, it'd be 50 or MAYBE 60 internal. more likely 45.[p]when you hot tub, it's about 100, with the sear taking you the rest of the way.[p]when you roast first and finish with a sear, you are raising the internal temp slowly also.[p]if you want the absolute minimum of 'well done' between the sear and you desired internal, try warming the steak with the hot tub method.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante