Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Whole Lobster

ColoradoCookColoradoCook Posts: 150
edited 1:47AM in EggHead Forum
I'm venturing back to home country (New Hampshire) next week, I plan on subjecting a few lobsters to 30,000 feet altitude on the trip back to the mile high city. Has anybody done whole Maine lobster in the Egg? I have some tail recipes from last weeks postings but can't find any whole recipes. When I think about now this might be a cruel death compared to the near instant death they get in boiling water. I could just hear it now, the clanking of claw to ceramic as they try to break out of their Eggprison.[p]CC
·

Comments

• J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    ColoradoCook, I'd boil them but I'll give you two recipes.....

[ul][li]Grilled lobster[/ul]
    ·
  • J AppledogJ Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Another one.... J Appledog[p]
    [ul][li]Grilled lobster[/ul]
    ·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    lobster.jpg
    <p />ColoradoCook:[p]Houndog is the man . . .

[ul][li]"Dwell in the Shell"[/ul]
    ·
  • ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    djm5x9,
    That looks more like a crawfish!
    Sorry, I boil the hell out of them!

·
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Shelby:[p]I posted the picture for effect . . . Just pretend. Complain if you do not like the recipe!

·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,334
    ColoradoCook,
    Like djm mentioned, Houndog's recipe is where it is at. Does not get much better. I use whole live lobsters, knife to the head, then cut off tail and yank claws off. Cook tails per Houndog's recipe, and cook claws off to the side...not over the hottest coals...a couple minutes longer than the tails (which are over the hottest coals. Highly recommended!!
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • SaltydogSaltydog Posts: 8
    ColoradoCook,[p]Natureboy's got the right instructions for you. We did the knife to the head to four lobsters, though, and they surely didn't act dead -- it was a grisly scene, but we weren't crying when we ate them I'll tell you. Some people recommend a few minutes in the freezer, but we fear burning the flesh that way. Some steam them for five minutes, then split and finish on the grill, that's probably the only realistic alternative to the knife method. Anyway, grilled lobster is very special, that singed taste is perfect for lobster meat. The purists, of course, will say boil. One more tip: get 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lb, not the 1-1/4 lb chicken lobsters, otherwise the meat in the little legs will disappear in the grilling.
    ·