Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged Turkey success

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks Mad Max, for your step by step tutorial, and thanks Naked Whiz for hosting it on your site. I stuck to the instructions, as this was my first attempt. The wife, who is an awesome cook, shook her head a few times ( especially when I dumped the wine on). But the results were just what Max promised. Even though the breast temp went way up, everything came out super juicey.(Ok I cheated and injected some butter/lemon juice). Next time I will leave the ice on longer than 20 min, not put as much flour in the gravy at the start, and try not to cook during a blizzard. Might post pics later on Woosday. Oh, and I did ABT's on the old Broil Mate gasser for appetizers, fed a 90 year old mother in law and 80 year old brother in law, all the way down to a ten year old. They were a big hit too !

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    City Slicker, What wine did you use?

• EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    City Slicker,
    I also owe thanks to MadMax and TNW. My turkey turned out great. Gravy was a disaster. Threw it out. Mostly my errors. Too much flower but most importantly trying to use a different pan to make gravy than the one the turkey cooked in. I switched to a disposable pan / V-rack combo at the last minute. This should have been fine except the temp ramped up in the Egg (again my error) and burnt alot of the nice gravy drippings. I think I could/should have picked out the burnt stuff. Nonetheless, between too much flower and "input" from others as to how gravy is "supposed" to be made (too many chefs in the kitchen) the gravy ended up a pasty green/brown mess. Chopping up the neck meat, liver etc also scared the women "because they have never seen that before" blah, blah, blah. I will try the gravy again but the rest of them can make their own gravy or stick to the ham. [p]That said, the rest of MadMax recipe was awesome. I love gravy but I must say that delicate flavour created by the Egg using one apple chunk was superb and I think I would rather eat by itself anyway. Would have been nice to have gravy for the potatoes.[p]Thanks again to MadMax and TNW for the website (which I use ALL the time)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    EggEd,
    glad the turkey turned out good. ..next time, if using disposable pans, stack em about three deep and then make sure you have some liquid in there (by adding a little apple juice, more white wine, broth,etc. ...that will keep the dripping from scorching and screwing up your gravy base. .. [p]and DON"T listen to anyone else :-)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    City Slicker,
    glad it all turned out good for you. .

• City Slicker
    Options
    FlaMike,
    Was a home made white Boudailles, vintage March 07 he he. My gravy turned out exactly like Max promised. Even looked the same as his pics.