Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Burgers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, with the helpful advice of several people on this forum, I launched myself further into debt and purchased a small BGE (thanks Char-Woody, although my creditors probably don't share the same sentiment).[p]I plan on cooking some Turkey Burgers tonight (my housemate can't eat red meat...quite the shame) and was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions for preparing and cooking the pseudo burger.[p]Thanks Very Much,
Viv[p]

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Viv,
    At first guess, I would cook them like normal burgers, at a 500 for 3 minutes per side with a 5-minute dwell. I am assuming the burgers are on the thick side. I wonder how well the meat will hold together.[p]Now, lets jump off the cliff. To the meat add shallots, garlic and apple (all in a very fine dice) and a stiff shot of Lean & Perins White Worcestershire Sauce. Now form your patties and grill from there. I have never tried it, it is just off the cuff.[p]Please let us know what you end up with. I think that you heading down a road that is not often traveled.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• FlaBQ
    FlaBQ Posts: 12
    Options
    Viv,
    Here's a great turkey burger recipe (modified slightly) from the epicurious.com website. I do these on the BGE quite often. They're easy to make and awesome served with the roasted red pepper relish. The relish is also great on other things as well. Also, keep in mind that turkey burgers, being poultry, need to be cooked all the way through, unlike traditional burgers. Enjoy!
    GOAT CHEESE-STUFFED TURKEY BURGERS WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER RELISH
    1 1/2 lbs.ground turkey
    6 Tbsp. fresh breadcrumbs
    1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    1 1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
    6 Tbsp. soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)[p]6 hamburger buns[p]3 Tbls. olive oil
    4 7-ounce jars roasted sweet red peppers, rinsed, drained, patted dry, chopped
    1 1/2 cups chopped onions
    3 tsp. finely chopped garlic
    4 1/2 Tbls. cider vinegar
    3 Tbsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. dry mustard
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper [p]For Burgers:
    Combine turkey, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl. Mix well. Divide turkey mixture into 6 equal portions. Form 1 portion into two 4-inch diameter patties. Place 1 tablespoon goat cheese atop 1 turkey patty; place second patty atop cheese. Seal patties at edges to enclose cheese. Repeat with remaining 5 portions. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)[p]Prepare BGE to 450*. Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Grill hamburger buns, cut side down, until lightly toasted. Place turkey burgers on bottom half of buns. Top burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Relish, then bun tops and serve.[p]For Relish:
    Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red peppers and sauté 2 minutes. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.[p]Mix vinegar and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir vinegar mixture into red peppers. Mix in mustard and cayenne pepper. Season with salt. Continue cooking relish until all liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Cool to room temperature. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.) Makes about 2 cups. [p]Serves 6 [p][p]

• Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Options
    Viv,[p]Can't you cook something else? ;-)