Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver bags cheep

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been on a egging Jones lately and the fridge is filling up. Anybody know of good (cheap) source of foodsaver bags.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    duckegg,[p]DA Wal*Mart..
  • Curly
    Curly Posts: 46
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I'm not in any way affiliated with this site, just found it on google. Might be worth a try.[p]I used to buy the foodsaver rolls by the box of 24 rolls at a good discount...not from Foodsaver...but I can no longer find the source.[p]
    [ul][li]Bags[/ul]
  • duckegg
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I'm talking CHEEP! Iv'e got a Sam's card. I'm lookin for a "psssst you want to buy some Foodsaver bags cheep" cheep.

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    duckegg,
    You must mean hot bags.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    duckegg,[p] I didn't think you could get much cheaper then Da Wal*Mart..[p] I'll keep a look out for a hijacked Food Saver Truck for ya. Don't hold your breath though..

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    duckegg,[p]I use ziplock bags.[p]I slice off the "Zipper". Pull apart the zipper at both seams so you have 2 pieces. Put your stuff in the bag and slide the 2 zipper halves into the bag, leaving them stick out past the opening. These zippers in the bag act as the channels to get the air out. Seal it twice a half inch apart.[p]E
  • Curly
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]How about a pic of that. Sounds like a great idea.

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    duckegg,[p]Ebay usually has deals on generic Foodsaver rolls- they are three ply to include a vacuum channel and work just fine,,,[p]hth[p]BigT

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    First let me say this is not perfrect (intentional Mis-Spelling to accentuate my ignorance.) So I will not listen to any complaints. NONE.[p]This was sparked by a plastic bag comparison test I read a long time ago. Basically, it said that food grade plastic bags are all the same, except for the thickness of the material. The thicker the material the more durable. If it never gets a hole in it, it is still a perfectly sealed device.[p]Also, I would like to point out that my newest Ziplock bags have Double zippers. Those double zippers make it really hard to seal with the vacuum sealer. Single zippers seal much easier. On with the experiment....[p]
    My Sealer has a cutter built into it and I use that to cut the zipper off.[p]P3200048.jpg[p]I Pull the Zipper into two pieces.[p]P3200049.jpg[p]Slide the zipper halves into the bag as channels.[p]P3200050.jpg[p]Vacuum and seal then seal again, then move to a higher place to vacuum and seal and seal for the 4th time.[p]P3200051.jpg

• duckegg
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Now that IS cheep! I will try it. Thanks for the great tutorial.

• Curly
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Thanks. I'm definately gonna try it.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    duckegg,[p]You are welcome.[p]E

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Curly,[p]You are welcome too.[p]E

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    I tried your ziploc method. The vacuum part worked just fine, but my foodsaver wouldn't melt through the strips to seal. the air came right back in after the cycle stopped. Any suggestions?

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    FlaMike,
    1. I press the vacuum and seal button.
    2. Let the cycle run.
    3. Then wait 30-40 seconds. (I don't open the machine or touch it at all for that atter while I am waiting.)
    4. Then I hit just the seal button (however, I think hitting the vacuum and seal button is probably a better idea.)
    5. Wait another 30-40 seconds before opening.[p]Then I repeat the whole process for the second sealing strip.[p]You really need to give the sealing strip time to melt through the zipper.[p]I also think there is residual vacuum stored inside the vacuum chamber so when you actuate the sealing strip the second time there will still be negative pressure in the bag.